Save Apple - Sign the Petition

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by imac_japan, Mar 18, 2004.

1. imac_japan macrumors member

imac_japan

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I read your petition, and I didn't sign it. I really don't think that a mac that hooks up to a TV is a good idea, look at webtv, it failed miserably. I agree with you that they need to get it down to 500 - 600 dollar price range, and maybe they will soon since the iPod is bringing in the dough. But really, apple is not going to overtake M$ and x86 computers, not anytime soon at least. Plus apple has always made there money on hardware, they pretty much give there software away, where as M$ makes money on software.

3. Doraemon macrumors 6502

I didn't sign either.

a) I don't think that market growth is necessarily good for Apple.

b) We don't need to save Apple. It's not endangered.

c) I wouldn't want a Commodore-type of computer. My TV is smaller than my displays. Besides, a TV cannot handle the high resolutions state-of-the-art video cards deliver.

d) With the eMac, Apple already has a good entry-level computer. What I'd like to see would be a <$1000 head-less iMac. But with the full range of features (so not a Commodore or whatever).

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

People have been hollering for a cheaper Mac every since there has been Macintosh. You must realize that Apple, unlike most computer companies, is in the business of creating quality products. Were Apple to release a cheap Mac it would shatter Apple's reputation of making slick quality products that are a joy to own. If you want a cheap pile of crap computer that you'll have to throw away in a year, go buy Dell of whatever. That's not Apple's target market.

5. imac_japan thread starter macrumors member

imac_japan

What people don't understand is that Apple is dying....
    Everyone is buying IBMs and if Apple doesn't do something then they are dead. I love my Macintoshes but Apple needs market share to grow !

Apple needs customers, Apple needs to start thinking out of their little 5% market share. The Ipod was a good example but you can't keep on counting on people to buy it. For example, Apple had to make Safari due to Microsoft pulling out of the mac - this is just one example where Apple is starting to make software because companies are leaving the platform.

We need a cheap Mac to bring in new Customers. Maybe its their first Mac experience.

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Apple has had a small market share ever since Microsoft and IBM dominated the scene back in the early 90s. Apple cannot and should not try to compete on price. Instead, Apple should just continue to offer the superior computer using experience. Eventually, when people get around to buying their 2nd and 3rd computers, they will try to educate themselves and get something more than 'whatever works'. Then, they with find Apple and fall in love. Have you seen the videos about the Apple Retail Store openings? Name ANY other technology company that has support nearly that big from it's fan base. No, Apple is going to be around for awhile.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Many have called for the demise of Apple, but it is still going strong. Anyone that talks against Apple does it at their peril.

8. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

9. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

10. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I think that what iMac_Japan doesn't get is that more people are coming to Apple rather than moving away from the platform, and yes marketshare could be higher, but even though it is what it is, it is still growing, not in total marketshare, but in total number of users, or so I have read in these forums and in various Mac magazines. Apple is one of very few tech companies that are making money and the established base is growing rather than shrinking, despite marketshare. Apple is going to be allright, I think. But that is just my 2 cents.

11. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

How is Apple dying? The iPod is a huge seller, the iTMS is a huge success... the point is, Apple is posting profits, and so long as we, loyal Apple customers, continue to buy the products, SJ and crew will continue to make them.

I personally don't want a cheap Mac. You get what you pay for, and if Apple made a cheap Mac it would likely be crappy. Better than any PC, for sure, but not of the standard Apple is used to.

12. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i question the need for this since apple did make quite a bit of money last quarter.

13. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

This sounds like a conversation straight out of 1990. Apple vs. IBM--come on!

Apple is not going anywhere anytime soon. Whether their market share is 5%, 2%, or 15% is irrelevant. They make a profit. That will keep them around. Who says you have to oppressively dominate the field to stay in business? Okay, who besides Bill Gates?

You have the software thing backward. Safari and Final Cut Pro existed (and did dominate on the Mac platform) before Microsoft and Adobe pulled the plugs in thier products.

We do not need a cheap Mac. One of the things I love about the Mac is that you don't have the option to buy a piece of crap.

WOMBAT indeed!

14. imac_japan thread starter macrumors member

imac_japan

Look, you don't have to call people names....

I just wanted to state that Apple should go on the Attack !! If it's a wombat then you should go and see Apple's situation outside of America.

In Australia (where Im from), the market is dead ! Most Apple Stores are large and if you ive in the Country - they don't exist. The rest of Asia is like that.

In Japan (where I live), alot of people have an Ipod but NOT a Macintosh...

Apple needs to push the market to get more...

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

correct me if i am wrong, but Apple did not have to make Safari, Microsoft halted the production of IE for Mac because Apple started to develop Safari and realized that more Mac users were using it than IE. Apple was not forced by Microsoft to make Safari

& its not like Microsoft has left Apple behind, Office 2004 is comming out sometime this year supposedly, i might start to worry about Apple is M$ starts to ignore Macs altogether....

The End of the Mac is not comming, Apple is finally out of debt, and profits are being made....Apple will be around for a while yet

16. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Like you can expect to have a Mac store in the middle of nowhere. That's BS. It's not profitable to run a Mac store in the (Australian) desert.

And have you ever been to China? You'll find lots of Apple stores there. And if you are in Japan, go to Akihabara, man and take a look around. There are like 14 Mac stores within three blocks.

I am outside the US. And there are iPod ads where ever I go.

And no, Apple is not dying. The markets where Apple is dominant will remain like that, since Apple is "attack[ing]" (to quote you) in the pro music and pro video markets. And in these markets Apple is making lots of money.

17. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Whose calling you names? I'm agreeing with Krizoitz, who said that your petition is a Waste of Money, Brains and Time (WOMBAT).

18. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

Apple Computer, Inc.: Proudly dying since 1976. :rolleyes:

if apple really was dying, the last thing it needs to do is to listen to amateur marketing gurus and online petitions.

is the apple marketshare lower than it used to be in the 90s? yes, absolutely. that doesn't mean apple is dying - that it's on the blink of an extinction. a company with nearly $4 billion in cash reserve with no debt will be able to carry on for quite some time... (gee, how long have gateway been dying?)

funny you mention japan. last time i went to tokyo (oct. '03), i was hard pressed to find any store with an electronics/computer department that didn't carry any macs.

19. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Does this count for the Apple Death Knell Counter? Maybe if they counted all the signatures someone would finally break Rob Enderle's record.... :rolleyes:

Dell has the market cornered in cheaper computers, so much so that they are the only PC maker still pulling in a profit doing it. Apple can't compete with Dell there, and it would be foolish of them to put even a dollar of their R & D money towards trying.

Not everyone will shell out the money for an Alienware system either, and their marketshare is also a fraction of the overall PC industry, but no one's saying they should sell cheaper computers or die. Get a grip. There's room for the smaller players here.

20. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I don't necessarity agree with that one. While bargain Wintel PCs can be huge piles of garbage, I think Apple could successfully market a bargain desktop that wouldn't be junk in a year. Most people would agree that an eMac is a quality machine (minus the lack of base RAM issue). You take the low end model, subtract the cost for the monitor and you have a computer that is sitting in the $500.00 - $600.00 range. Many people already have monitors and if not, you can find a decent one for relatively low cost. Apple is very much capable of putting those components in a sleek case, giving it a decent name and perhaps the abilty to be expanable and there you go. The low cost Mac that won't be your foot stool next year.

Would this take some sales from the PowerMacs? Very little if any at all. Most people who buy PowerMacs are people who need the power. I don't think a whole lot of people buy a PowerMac and use it only for word processing, internet/e-mail and iTunes. The people who use Macs for the above reasons are buying the iMacs and eMacs. The "headless iMac/eMac" would just be one more quality option in the lower-end/consumer priced area.

And in my humble opinion, I think a large reason that many bargain PCs only last a year is because Intel has brainwashed society into believing the Megahertz Myth and Bargain PC dealers go along with it as it generates new sales. I don't know how many times I had to explain this to my PC friends who said they'd never own a Mac b/c they were too slow.

21. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

since CRT monitors cost next to nothing these days, eMac price can't be lowered that much even if it was headless. that will just eat into the profits. and why give the money for the monitor to other companies?

apparently, apple's marketing dept. has concluded that the sale of AIO units with bigger margin turns more profit than that can be expected from increased sale of headless units with smaller margin. and as long as apple's profitable, there's no reason to argue that their strategy is wrong...

eMac and iMac are for people who want to take home a box, open it up, plug in the power and start using them. they are NOT meant for people who want the absolute cheapest computers. right now, apple is not interested in making that kind of "cheapest" computers... nor has they ever been. the only time that happened was when they allowed clones and that certainly went nowhere because Macs were suddenly a commodity and apple took a major hit as "premium" hardware company.

mind you, apple could change their mind and offer such a headless machine in the future, if their dept. sees that the computer market is changing. so while you may well be 100% correct in principle, apple hasn't had to or is yet to find a reason to offer such a headless.

22. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I'm sorry that you felt insulted by the term, it wasn't meant to refer to you, just the petition idea.

I have read of the problems that Apple Australia is having os you may have a point there, but from all my contacts in Japan Apple seems to be doing spectacularly well there (and always has), the Ginza store opening is a prime-example.

Anyhow what you have to realize is that those of us in the U.S. have had to continously put up with this idea that Apple is dying in the media for a long time now, so we tend to be annoyed easier when things like this happens. At least for us, in Apple's main market it is doing great, so we really see no need to "save" Apple. Maybe a Save Apple Australia petition would help more, it sounds like the pricing is outta control.

23. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I don't argue that their strategy is wrong. They are a profitable, debt-free company. They obviously have some clue as to what's going on.

However, as a Mac lover on a budget, I hate only having the option of an iMac or an eMac. I dislike both of them. I dislike the design and I dislike that they are essentually unupgradable. If I am going to spend money on a product, I had better like looking at it. I also don't want to have to use a G4 MDD as it's old technology. Granted, it's life is far from over but I get the impression that Apple is telling me that unless I am willing to pony up $2500.00 - $3000.00, that my only options are either old or unupgradable products.

A Bargain PC may be a POS, but for a good group of people, it's all they can afford...and I am almost to that point. My old computer can only take me so much farther.

24. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

well, whether you like it or not, that's pretty much exactly what apple is telling you...

apparently, providing upgradable, top of the line (or close to that) products that are very cheap is not something apple is interested in since they believe it will not give them more profit.

i mean, i wish porche boxster was in my price range. i don't like the look of many of the cars i can afford... but such is the reality of life...

so good luck to you and get the kick-butt machines like PM G5 when you make it big!

25. led1002 macrumors newbie

Where do you buy your computers?

Actually it's $1800-3000, for a G5 64 bit computer. Where do you buy your computers from? No wonder Apple can't dispell the myths even Mac users don't know how much they cost!