Save dialog is REALLY annoying with long file names

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by weeag, Mar 24, 2007.

1. weeag macrumors regular

Ok, I'm an old PC user and this is really bugging me about the mac...

When you save a file with a name that is longer than the given space in the save dialog the name left justifies and you can't see the end of it. When you arrow the cursor over to see the end of the name you only see one letter at a time and never the complete end of the file name unless you arrow all the way over BUT when you arrow back to the part of the name you want to change the name right justifies. In other words, you can't see the entire end of the file name at once while trying to edit it.

Make sense? On a pc there's none of this 'auto-justification' in the save dialogs. If this doesn't make sense try saving a file with a name longer than the given space and do what I described above (move cursor to end of file name then move it back to the beginning, one key at a time - the cursor will stay at the far right of the box and you can't see the word to edit it).

Is there a fix or an option to turn this off?

Ok, i'm done ranting - this is just really annoying as I save lots of files with long file names.

Thanks!

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If you go to the end of the file name, then hold the shift key as you move left, you can still see the end of the name. Of course, you're selecting the end of the filename, which you may or may not want to do.

If you click on a spot in the name instead of using arrows, it doesn't scroll back.

You might just try messing with ctrl, command, option-arrows and so on to see how it works.

It's too bad the size of the space for typing the file name doesn't increase as you expand the save dialog box.

3. weeag thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply!

I know you can scroll to the end of the name and then use the mouse to move the cursor to another part of the name, but as soon as you type something or push the arrow key, then name jumps to the left, right-justifying the cursor again.

And ctrl, command, option and arrows don't do anything except jump to the begning/end of the name.

I appreciate the input!

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I've never tried this software, and it doesn't seem to address your specific problem, but you might try Default Folder X. Seems like it may help streamline the saving process for you.