Save me from embarasment! Startup sound

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sweener88, May 8, 2006.

1. Sweener88 macrumors 6502

Sweener88

I was in a library today and i started up my shiny new macbook pro. WHAT A SHOCK the startup sound not only made me jump about 3 feet in the air but the entire library all turned and looked at me. SCARED ME TO DEATH lol. anyways how can i disable this stupid sound on this intel macbook pro. THANKS FOR HELP i REALLY appreciate it lol

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Put it to sleep at home and open it from sleep in public places. You won't hear much at all and it's quite a bit quicker than cold booting.

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

you could also put headphones in the audio-out jack before starting up. The sound will go through the 'phones, and since it's a pair of headphones, it'll be much quieter.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Or just remember to mute the sound before you shut down.

5. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Or you can write an applescript to mute the sound on shutdown and one to unmute it on start up. I've seen this done somewhere, but I can't remember where now.

edit- found a way

link

6. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Just to get a clear picture about what happened, does this remind you of anything? :)

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Why...?

Do you turn off your MBP?

Most powerbook users I know seldom if ever shutdown, they just put it to sleep...

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I agree that you should just close the lid and let it sleep. However, if you're ever in a place and need to start up your 'book, but you're not sure if you muted it, just hold down the mute key when you push the power button and hold it (the mute button) for about 3-5 seconds after. The startup sound can be muted that way as well.

9. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Agreed, just let it sleep. No messing around.

This doesn't seem to work on the MBP. I've had it several times where the chime would come through the main speakers even though I had headphones plugged in. Once in OS X though the sound came from the headphones. Looks like the EFI doesn't set up audio routing before the chime.

10. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Works the same way on my G4 mini. Startup sound plays through the internal speaker no matter what sort of external stuff you have plugged into it. Kinda frustrating, actually.

11. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)

This works. At first I thought that my iMac wasn't doing something right, but in 10.4, muting the sound before you shut down keeps the chime from sounding.

12. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Or you could just create an Automator script that mutes the volume and set it as an alarm in iCal to run everyday at like 7:00 p.m. or whenever and then another that sets it back to the volume you want and set it as a Startup Item.

13. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Exactly.

Psst? Automator scripts? Editing in terminal? You don't need any of these.

Just mute the thing before you shut it down, so simple it's scary.

14. charmin macrumors member

charmin