Save on MacBook HDD Space!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kardashian, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Just got my new MacBook, but I stuck with the stock 60GB HD.

I'm not sure on my future plans, either a 100GB internal, or a 120GB external and save all my Movies and Music on that - just keep Apps and work on the internal for when I'm in School (I'll have my iPod for Music).

Anyway, my question is, how can I save on the small 60GB HD, now reduced to around 16GB?

Can I remove unused Languages? GarageBand and all the things that come along with it?

Thanks once again MR Users!

2. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I've removed GarageBand and all the loops etc and gained around 4GB... can I remove iDVD as well, and the App. Support folder which is like just under 2GB or something?

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I wouldn't just trash the Application Support folders (there's one in ~/Library and another in /Library), as you may delete a lot of important stuff, like your Address Book data, but you can rummage through it and get rid of some things... Remember: Only delete things you can identify and are 100% sure you don't need...

On that note: Check out /Library/Printers/ - 2 GB of printer drivers that you may or may not need... ;)

OmniDiskSweeper is a nice tool for finding out where all the space has gone...

4. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Monolingual will remove any unwanted languages, but make sure you don't delete the english ones or OS X won't be able to boot. A quick google should find it for you. I managed to gain back over 2GB just by cleaning up the unwanted languages.

5. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I only removed the folder for GarageBand - which I won't ever ever use. ;)

Ooh how do I know what ones to remove, all of them? Then just install the drivers I need off the printers CD?

6. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Downloading now. Thanks. :)

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

If it's still new you might even want to re-install, this time choosing what you do and won't to install through custom options. (And then going through all the steps outlined here again).

Apart from the other apps already mentioned you might want to check out AppZapper to make sure you catch all those pesky sub folders/preferences.

8. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Thanks for that app, I'll give it a try now :).

I don't want to sound pathetic.. but I've just got the system how I like it, all set up, my files, e-mails etc - can't really be bothered to do it all again :eek:

Still, I'll know for next time, ey! :rolleyes:

9. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

10. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Nice one! Thats a hell load of extra storage space.

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I can't believe no one has mentioned WhatSize yet. Download it and use it to show you where all your disc space is being allocated. That will definitely help as well. :cool:

12. reubs macrumors 68000

The OP said something about installing drivers from disks included w/ printers and stuff, but I've also read not to install drivers on Macs. Is that b/c (almost) all of the needed drivers come pre-installed or is there some other reason for not installing them?

13. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Ta very much!

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem, glad to be of help. WhatSize is definitely a very useful app in situations like this, hopefully you find some value in using it. :cool:

15. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

people say this because Macs come pre-installed with all the printer drivers you'd need. if you delete them, however, you'll have to install the drivers from the CD.

to get the most functionality from my HP PSC i had to install a program from the CD. this allows me to press the "Scan" button and have the computer know what i'm talking about.

16. nightelf macrumors 6502

I always reformat a new Mac, to customize what is installed. I do not install the printer drivers from brands I dont use, the localization languages, GarageBand, jingles, demos, iWeb, etc.