Save Quicktime movies from internet?????

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bluemonkey, Mar 30, 2004.

1. bluemonkey macrumors regular

I was wondering if there was a way to save quicktime movies that I view on the internet. I guess I'm talking about movie trailers and what not for the most part. Any ideas?

2. dudeami macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2004
    It's number 2 on the top ten reasons to go pro list.

If you have quicktime pro, then you can save quicktime movies from the web.
  3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    you may be able to get it throught other ways

om me
  4. MatMistake macrumors member

Mar 21, 2004
    I worked out how to do this a while ago (well, I think it was a quicktime movie, possibly was real or something, but I doubt it) I can't quite rember, but it was something along the lines of getting a download manager type program, then right clicking the quicktime movie to get its URL, then putting that url in to the download manager...

can't rember any download manager programs, I use the opera web browser now, and it has one built in, so no need for a seperate one anymore. I'm not sure if it would work for this. it might just play the movie in the browser....
  5. jimsowden macrumors 68000

Sep 6, 2003
    There are ways to get pro for free, but I won't go there. View the souce of the page (ctrl click, view source) get the url of the movie, open quicktime, click file open from URL enter the address and file-save as. Long, but it works.
  6. jap4n macrumors member

Aug 10, 2003
    wellington, nz
    you need to know some html skills..

- first, open the page with the movie on it (ie, You dont need to click play.

- Go to View, Source (Option + Command + V)

- Go to Find, and search the source for ".mov" (usually the filename/url is something like "")

- Copy the HREF Value (ie "")

- Paste into anchor link into an html page. Then change the "" to ""

- Open the page with the link you just made with safari or other browser. Save as...

Note: if this doesnt work, download the original "" file, open with TextEdit. Then grab the filename and replace with original.
  7. dedjim macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2004
    If in X: Right click or control-click on the link to the .mpg and select "Download Link Target"
  8. michaelwarren89 macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2004
    Brisbane, Oz
    Its actually easier than all that, in Safari 1.2 all you have to do is open the file in a Tab/Window from the remote location, let it download then click File - Save As. Easy as pie:cool:. I think it also works in 1.1 but I'm not sure, I only realised the pure simplcity of it a few weeks ago.
  9. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    right on applemacdude! :D STW ;)

but there are also some other QT movies that don't let you save them, even it you have QT Pro. like mov's from i get those on a PC, looking through Temp internet files after it's loaded, it caches it in there, then you can copy it and viola! :D

but you can't get to where Safari's cache, it's buried where no man will find it.

anyone know a browser that has a clearly labeled 'Cache' folder where you can grab stuff out of?
  10. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003