"save target as".... it's not there!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cb911, Jul 11, 2002.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

everyone knows how on PC's in Internet Explorer you can select save target as, right? well is there something similar on the Mac version of IE? or is there a workaround?

whenever i go to a site and it says 'save target as' i just click on the link and it opens in a new IE window. is there any way to save the avi, mov files or whatever to my HD?

and i can't get DivX to work either. i just got DivX 5.0 Alpha 2 and no divx stuff is working, not even the stuff at www.divx.com

does anyone have the same problem, or know whats up with this?

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Yeah there is a way to get around this hold down the option key while you click. Or if you click while holding control, a similiar menu pops up as the one when you right click in Winblows. In this menu there is the option to (in IE, yes I use it) download link.

Hope this helps

3. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

that only downloads the actual link, not the file that it takes you to.

the problem i'm having is that i'm trying to watch and download some animations. i can watch them fine, but after i click on the links it just loads the movie into another IE window, and i want to save it to my HD so i can watch it later. i checked prefrences in IE and there was nothing about this. any ideas?

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

It works fine for me, well I tried, that's what I do when I download mp3s (for the record, I own them) and it works fine for me. Sorry I was no help

5. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

A couple of thoughts...

I wasn't clear if you had tried control-clicking. It gives you a small menu that includes "Download link". This works the way you want it to (as long as the link refers *only* to a document, not a web page containing the document you want).

My other suggestion is to use Mozila. IE is terrible.

Chris

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have no problem with downloading images, files and such from within ie. If you go to a url, control click on the item you want to save, you get an option "Download ____ to disk" You can then select where you want the file to go (defaults to your normal download location). You can also download the link if you so desire or open the link in a new window.

This is made easier if you have a multi-button mouse... Since you can just right click onto the url or image and get the options.

I would also recommend downloading the latest version of ie, if you haven't already... For OS 9.x, it's ie 5.1.5; for OS X, it's 5.2.1.

7. gernb macrumors regular

additionally, you can click and hold on the link and the contextual menu will pop up letting you "Save target as...", etc.

guess, the one button mouse is more useful than i thought

8. Choppaface macrumors 65816

ya it doesnt seem right for apple to consider two button mice when everything they have out so far has one button and it functions almost as effectively as a two button mouse on a windows box. if they do put out two button mice, it would be cool if the second button could be used for the same sort of copy operation that you can do on solaris boxes.

it downloads the file...or page or whatever the link leads to. it doesn't save the link by making a shortcut or anything. mouse over the link and check the extension of the doc in the status bar. if its a file, it will save that file. if its a page, it will save that page....

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Under OS X, with either the right button, or the control click, you do get a copy item in the menu.

10. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

11. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

hey W-_-W, thanks for your help. and don't worry if you have a few mp3's that you didn't get from a store, i've got about 7GB of mp3s and i've never spent a cent on a CD or any other music stuff.;) :D
    and i do have the latest version of IE.
    and as for 'download link to disk' it doesn't work!!!:mad: :mad: see for yourselves: got to http://homepage.mac.com/mugget/ its the file '5 pepe sorenson'. it was supposed to be a 38MB mov file and that is what i got.

i opened up Mozilla and it looks like it's working, althought it is going a bit slow, 11kb/s isn't the best i've seen.

12. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

good news! i can download the animation from Mozilla now. works fine. why doesn't IE for Mac have save target as? i know IE on my PC has it.

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Because you are talking about MicroSofterThenASneakerFullOfPuppySh*t, that's why... :eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :p :D :cool:

14. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Not sure if you were implying that Mozilla was responsible for the slow download speed, but that's not possible. You have probably realized this by now...

Glad it worked for you. To bad IE didn't work the way you wanted (although I'm still not perfectly clear why it didn't).

Chris

15. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

have you checked out that link i put a few posts up? that'll explain everything.