Save The Apollo Launch Tower!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by celaurie, Feb 5, 2004.

1. celaurie macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2003
    Edinburgh, Scotland.
    The Apollo Launch Umbilical Tower (LUT) is in imminent danger as of Monday 2nd February 2004! Kennedy Space Center has just started actively working this week to start dismantling and destroying this historic structure. :(

Please sign the petition to help stop part of our history being destroyed!

Further information is avaliable from Save the

Attached Files:

2. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2004
    Pacific NW
    Didnt even know the thing existed...and some how, i'm still able to make it through the day.

Some How...

[edit] before anyone gets upset, i signed it.
  3. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    ooo i visited the cape!!! i do hope they keep it
  4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001

not exactly in the best shape right now....sad really.

Although I think its great to hold on to the this, for historical purposes, its not exactly in a location that's easily accessible or assembled. Its so huge, you can't really transport it (with out lots of money).

What are the best solutions for it aside from recycling....?

5. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    Problem is that people willl want to save it but nobody will want to fork the money. They could put a few millions on restoring that lauch tower but that's money that won't go on a probe to another planet as an example. What's more, such a structure is very costly to maintain as it is'nt very well protected against the damaging effects of weather. We'll have to keep putting money on it years after years. Tourism to the site will never come close to sustain the bill. Sad but true.

Nasa is on a tight budget. We have to prioritize. If people want to save the tower it's fine with me but they'll have to unsderstand that other missions (ongoing or planned) will have to be scrapped or delayed. OR we can increase even more NASA's budget and fork the bill to the people in the form of a tax raise. Not sure everyone will like that tower after that ^_^.

Then again I might be totally mistaken. Maybe it's not as expensive as I think it is to rebuild that tower. And maybe it will only take a minimal input of money to maintain it over the years. I'm no rocket scientist ;-)

P.S.: I'm pro NASA, pro space, and pro exploration. I just think that the money could be better used. (personnal opinion)
  6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Good morning Mr anderson, i find this interesting. 25 years ago my grandfather was very concerned when they were dismantling this thing. he wanted them to save the tower and even made a few trips to Nasa to talk to them about saving it. In fact i have some grindings from the tower somewhere. my grandpa had the idea of cutting it up and using these cuttings for souvenirs but nasa said it would cost to much. anyways they made a few cutts and grinds for him. Its been dismantled and is rusting away so its pretty hard for me to see any value in trying to keep it. Now Hubble the space telescope is another matter.
  7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Same here - but there is one very big problem with this.

Its almost 500' high....this is in Florida....they have hurricanes there :D

The upkeep and preventive maintenance would be, literally, astronomical. Its sad that its in disrepair, but there really aren't any viable alternatives to recycling.

I do think giving out pieces as souvenirs would be great - as for expense, they're going to clean it up anyway. I'd love to have a bolt, nut, rivet from the tower on my desk...and I'd pay for it, like so many other people.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    nasa oughta sell pieces of it to the general public with little certificates of authenticity and all that jazz.... use the money made to do something worthwhile...

9. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I hope that they will be successful in saving the Apollo Tower. Got to see the tower during a tour of Cape Canaveral. It's a historical site and should be preserved. I signed the petition as #942.