Save the Balls

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by aricher, Jul 11, 2006.

1. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Save the Balls

"America is about to lose its balls — its 700-pound, blue-and-orange balls. In another example of conglomerate hegemony, Union 76 gas stations across the nation are planning to knock down their beloved spherical signs and mount tombstone-like slabs in their place. Of course, the folks at savethe76ball.com are hoping to do something about it. In addition to being a loving homage to the ball, the site houses an online petition demanding that 76's corporate parent, ConocoPhillips, stop the removal and desecration of the iconic trademark. The idea might seem frivolous, but the preservation of the present for the future has to start somewhere. Why not at the pump?"

2. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

The 76 station by my house just switched over. I just noticed it a few days ago twinged at the thought that the ball was gone.

3. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Whats the big deal? Its just an advertising sign isn't it?

4. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Yes but still! Oh when I went to lunch today I saw a different 76 station and it still had the ball. :)

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

i've never seen one of those before..

probably have, but there not common 'round here atleast.

i'm just outside of chicago

6. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

All I have to say to those save the ball folks is , turn your head and cough.

7. aricher thread starter macrumors 68020

aricher

They used to be quite common around Chicago when U76 had a larger local presence back in the 70s & 80s. Quite frankly It doesn't bother me that much that they're changing it but I do somehow feel a bit wistful as I remeber how iconic they were when I was a child. As someone in the advertising/marketing field it also blows me away that they would capitalize on an icon rather than relegate it to an average sign like every other gas corp has done.