Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PapaGino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
Londonderry NH
So my dad's work tossed a pretty good Late 2008 Air. I Installed El Capitan onto it since it was fully wiped. Turns out it had a blown, swelled battery (no surprise there) so i removed it and now running it from AC only. Its a 1.86Ghz with the OEM 120Gb SSD from apple installed on it. So far it seams pretty good runs everything fine. What I'm worried about is the life expectancy of this SSD due to its advanced age. Anyone still running an Air with factory SSD? Also does anyone know where to get a good battery replacement? i figure the one from OWC is good but any other suggestions.

Thanks

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
While I don't own an Air currently, I'd think the SSD would be ok for a while; they're generally more reliable than a hard drive because of no moving parts. I'd get the battery from OWC; their kit is quality.

Last edited:

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
So my dad's work tossed a pretty good Late 2008 Air. I Installed El Capitan onto it since it was fully wiped. Turns out it had a blown, swelled battery (no surprise there) so i removed it and now running it from AC only. Its a 1.86Ghz with the OEM 120Gb SSD from apple installed on it. So far it seams pretty good runs everything fine. What I'm worried about is the life expectancy of this SSD due to its advanced age. Anyone still running an Air with factory SSD? Also does anyone know where to get a good battery replacement? i figure the one from OWC is good but any other suggestions.

Thanks

Genius bar will replace a battery.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I'd think the SSD would be ok for a while; they're generally more reliable than a hard drive because of no moving parts.

I assumed the OP was concerned about the fact that the cells in SSD's have a finite number of write cycles, and one from 2008 might be getting close to the limit. No idea whether this is a valid cause for concern or not...

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Not for a 2008 MacBook Air. Apple considers that machine vintage and will not work on it at all. Nor do they stock parts for it.

Thank you for the info. I had no idea. Good to know. I guess it will be MicroCenter for my revered Macs if they need assistance.

PapaGino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
Londonderry NH
I downloaded DriveDX which ended up telling me the air had 12 months and 20 days of use on the SSD and it is at a 94% health rating so I guess that is pretty good and yeah from the looks of it OWC is prob the best as far as the battery replacement.

Thx guys

marshallld

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2007
Replacing the battery is really fairly easy, there are a couple youtube video on it. I just did it on a gen 1, early '08. Air its really only a matter of removing the 10 screws in the bottom of the case (3 different sizes of screws) and then the 5 holding the battery in. 10 min max.

Reactions: MRxROBOT

PapaGino

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
Londonderry NH
Replacing the battery is really fairly easy, there are a couple youtube video on it. I just did it on a gen 1, early '08. Air its really only a matter of removing the 10 screws in the bottom of the case (3 different sizes of screws) and then the 5 holding the battery in. 10 min max.
Yeah it was easy taking it out, the battery was swelled quite a lot which made some screws hard to access. But at least its not like the 2010s + where the batteries are glued to the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.