Saving as PDF on OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by darraghsmyth, May 7, 2004.

1. darraghsmyth macrumors newbie

Do people have any recommendations for a good word processor in OS X that enables you to save files as PDF?

Does this require plug-ins from Adobe or will it run from the standard edition?

thanks in advance

d

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

You can save as PDF in any Mac OS X application that allows you to print. Simply go to File->Print (may differ slightly depending on application), then click the "Save As PDF..." button.

3. chrisspea macrumors newbie

Actually, you can make a pdf from most apps in OS X. Just choose "Print", then in the dialogue box, select "Save As PDF". :)

4. About2SwitchOvr macrumors regular

True on Word as well :)

I know that for WORD on PC, the PDF option is separate(?).. But on my Office X, it comes standard.. definitely a cool feature!
    Same.. Print --> PDF

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

or you can, in the print window, choose "Output" and select "Postscript" and get a more color accurate .ps file that can be distilled into PDF by Adobe Distiller (Also Preview can distill .PS files, but I dunno how the "accuracy" holds up).

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Preview-distilled PostScript files suck. As a general proposition, Apple is to be commended for making it so easy to generate PDF files from with the OS. However, if you are serious about your PDFs, then you should buy Adobe Acrobat 6.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

One more hint is that the save as PDF option in the print dialog uses the printer settings that are active at the time (at least some of them). So if you set to print two to a page, then PDF will do the same. Also I think it's the same for colors vs. black & white.

8. insidedanshead macrumors regular

well said. if you are printing to your home printer you are not going to notice the difference between an os x pdf and a .ps -> distiller pdf. HOWEVER, if its a serious print job you SHOULD save is as a postscript file and PDF it..

Preview can see them but its only for reasons of copy and layout not color.

9. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

If you were using InDesign you can use the "Export" command (cmnd+E) that lets you choose the quality of the PDF, and even the type of file to export.