Saving DVDs to harddrive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by emotistically, Jan 8, 2007.

1. emotistically macrumors member

I have a few TV series on DVD that I would like to save on my macbook so I can watch a few episodes while on the go, without needing to have the DVD on me. How do I save a DVD onto my harddive? Is there a good program for it?

2. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

3. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

4. Jowl macrumors 6502

MacTheRipper will extract the whole DVD (inc Menu's if required) - tis will take up up to 9gb of storage space - dependant on the DVD size. PLaying in VLC will give you Dolby Digital 5.1 sound if you are connected up to suitable equipment (unlikley on the road!)

Handbrake will Rip the DVD to Hard Drive but leave you with only Stereo option for sound. However, File size will be considerable smaller (1-1.5gb and still be of good quality)

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As a plus, the Handbrake files are likely to work on your iPod, unlike the MTR rips.

B

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Full quality, full size (many GB) and less iTunes friendly, less time to rip - MacTheRipper

Good quality, small size (1 to 2GB) and more iTunes friendly, more time to encode - Handbrake.

Either way you go they're both terrific programs.

7. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Mac the Ripper also allows you to rip only the main movie, or certain segments if you desire, so the total size can be smaller, instead of the whole disk.

If you want to convert it to a smaller format, I have found Roxio's Popcorn 2 to be an awesome product. It does have a price tag, but its seamless, almost 1 click and will allow you to downsize the movie and optionally make it iPod video ready.

8. emotistically thread starter macrumors member

Which would would you guys say is better if I don't care about special features. and stuff like that. Also each DVD has several episodes, how will they be aranged.

9. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I heard there was a potential problem ripping parts of a disc and that full rips were recommended. What the prob was I don't recall.

With Roxio Toast (version 8 just released) you can easily compress The MTR rip and make a back-up DVD. No, I didn't say that. Officer, arrest this man. ;)

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I use Handbrake, with the queue enabled so I can rip individual episodes (you can find them in the Titles drop down menu - check the times, most episodes are sequentially arranged in the drop down menu and have the same time) with the following settings:

.mp4 file format
    1500kbps video bit rate
    MPEG-4 encoding
    Two pass encoding enabled (optional, turn it off if you want max. speed)
    128kbps AAC audio encoding

Not only do these settings give you good quality and small size they can be loaded into and organised in iTunes' TV Shows section and are also playable on the iPod. Simply tag the video in iTunes after importing it.

Using MPEG-4 allows for faster encoding and at the moment Handbrake doesn't support the H.264 baseline profile (although there is a buggy alpha version that does) that iTunes uses. H.264 gives much better quality at the same bit rate as a MPEG-4 encoded movie but takes much longer to encode.

11. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

LOL, I was careful with how I suggested ripping with Mac the Ripper. Its legal so long as it complies with your local laws and you own the original DVD.

12. Jowl macrumors 6502

I'm only just starting to get into this for use with my imminent Mini-based Media Centre.

I use Handbrake for my TV series and older things (that don't require fill DD5.1) - the filesizes are much better with (to me) acceptable quality. I'd prefer to use it for everything really.

I use MacTheRipper for stuff that I want DD5.1 sound.

As you are probably not worried about sound output, I would use Handbrake to keep filesizes low. Encode with mpeg4 and play in Quicktime/Frontrow. Handbrake does take longer to.rip though.

13. Jowl macrumors 6502

So Version 7 does this? Hmmmm, very interesting.

Not that would ever do that ;)

14. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Yes. Video tab and select DVD-Video from VIDEO_TS and click Fit-to-DVD video compression. Drag and drop the VIDEO_TS you burnt in MTR (you don't need the audio folder). In the Toast screen you can select main feature or all and which soundtracks you want. Then burn, baby, burn... :)

15. Jowl macrumors 6502

Cheers! I'll be sure to not try that :)

16. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Me neither. :D

17. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I love my DVD player as it can play Handbrake files.

It's like a DVD changer in one (dual-layer) disc :D

18. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Sometimes using MTR, if you just rip the main feature and not the whole disc trying to compress it later causes problems. It can also mess up the region encoding which causes other problems.

If yo do use MTR, your best bet is to rip the whole DVD then when burning then just burn the bits you want.

I use Roxio Toast 7 at the moment but I didn't realise Toast 8 was out. I'll have to check that out :)

19. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

What's a handbrake file? I know what handbrake does, just curious what this mysterious 'handbrake file' is.....

20. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Interesting tip. I'll have to try that with my er....ermm...bought DVD's ;) that didnt want to play ball with selective rips .

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Apple DVD Player can pass through AC-3 (Dolby's compression system, I think) audio to external decoders as well. It will also pass DTS through too.

22. Jowl macrumors 6502

Yes, Apple's DVD player will. But you need's workaround to get Frontrow to play Video_TS folders. If only quicktime would pass it through - we could have ~1gb mp4 files playing DD and DTS from Front Row with easy handbrake rupping

23. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

To agree with most people here I would definately go for (although expensive) roxio toast!

Now supporting Blu-Ray!!!

(all I need now is a blu-ray player! and some blu-ray discs!)

24. 350nismo macrumors newbie

Can you set mac the ripper to rip into one .vob file, instead of multiple?