Saving files to cache in Firefox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reubs, Sep 8, 2006.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2006
    Whenever I download a PDF or video from the internet and I try open it directly instead of saving it to the disk, it always ends up on the desktop. For example, I download a PDF, choose to open w/ "Preview", and the file stays put on the desktop.

I don't like a cluttered desktop, and don't like trashing things I just want to look at once. is there a way to make Firefox for OS X save these files to a cache or temp folder or anything?

Thanks in advance.
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I don't use Firefox but I imagine you could create a temporary folder somewhere and set Firefox to save the files to here through its Preferences. Then, delete the contents of this folder every now and then. :)
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Firefox preferences -> Main -> Downloads -> Save files to <anywhere you want, really>

Picture 1.png

(I think it was there, or a very similar place if you're still using 1.5.0.x, in which case I strongly recommend upgrading to 2.0b2 unless you really, really depend on some add-ons aka extensions that isn't 2.0-ready, yet...)
  4. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
  5. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    thats not his question, he wants firefox to open PDF inside browser window natively.
  6. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Nov 14, 2007
    wow this is an old topic!
    I was just about to create a topic about this....

This really annoys me as well. On Windows (uh oh!) if you'd select 'open with..' it would save the file to a temp directory, then once you closed the program that was opening the file, you wouldn't have to worry about deleting the file. But now, on my Mac if I choose 'open with...' it STILL saves it to the downloads folder (my default location) then opens it. Which means I still have to trash it when I'm done.
    Edit: a bit more searching found this:

a good solution :)