Saving On MBP With Mac Mini RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rohopish, May 24, 2006.

1. rohopish macrumors member

Hello Everyone,

About 6 or more months ago, I purchased a Mac Mini (1.42 GHz PowerPC G4) which came with 512 MB of RAM. I upgraded the memory from 512 MB to 1 GB and was given the 512 MB with the sale of my new (and first, may I mention) Macintosh computer. Now, after half a year of use, I have grown to love Macs and OS X; however, I have a lot of tough courses coming this fall in school and need a notebook as such. But I also want a laptop that will last me for 3 or 4 years.

I want to buy a MacBook Pro, but being the penny-pincher I am, I was wondering if I could use the 512 MB of RAM from my Mac Mini and put it into the other memory-slot of the MBP; which, as I can establish from Apple.ca, comes with two slots, and if you either get the 512 MB or 1 GB configuration there should be one slot remaining. What I need to know is: 1) Could this work? and 2) Is my 512 MB stick compatible with the MBP or even the MacBook (if I decide to go down that root). This is what reads EXACTLY on a sticker on the stick of RAM:

M1U51264DS8HC3G-5T
    512MB DDR-400 MHz-CL3
    PC3200U-30330

Thank you all so very much for you help in the matter. I eagerly await your replies.

-Bobby

2. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

No. Two different types of RAM. The MBP and MB use PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz RAM.

3. rohopish thread starter macrumors member

Oh Darn...

Thank you for the reply.

I see. I trust you know this for sure so I won't question your information. That is kind of bad as I have no other use for this RAM at the moment. How much do you think I could fetch for the RAM and could I sell it at any used PC place?

4. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Np, sry that it wont work for you. a 512MB stick of RAM for you mini is going for under $50 on Datamem, so maybe you can get $30-40 for it? The other reason the RAM wont work is that the PPC mini RAM is 184-pin compared to the Mac Intel RAM that is all 200-pin (at least the MB and MBP are).

BTW, for under $100 you can get a 1GB stick for the MB or MBP, or get 2x1GB for either the MB or MBP for $185.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Look it up for yourself...

Hardware developer notes

Mac Mini Computer (January 2005)

The Mac mini has one RAM expansion slot that accepts standard DDR333 PC2700, 184-pin DIMMs (dual inline memory modules) for use with SDRAM devices. The Mac mini supports DIMM sizes 256 MB, 512 MB, or 1 GB of memory for a total system maximum of up to 1 GB.

15-inch MacBook Pro Computer (January 2006)

The 15-inch MacBook Pro computer introduced in January 2006, based on the Intel Core Duo microprocessor, provides two RAM slots that accommodate 200-pin DDR2 SDRAM SO-DIMMs up to 1.25” in height. The SO-DIMMs must be DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) compliant and must be unbuffered, unregistered, 8-byte, nonparity, and non-ECC.

6. rohopish thread starter macrumors member

Oh, I'm Sorry

I didn't know there was information like that on Apple.ca, thank you for the link! Ah yes, I guess I'll have to sell it then... One more question, just to make good use of this thread; do you think that I really need the bump from 64 MB shared GPU (MacBook) to 128 MB dedicated (MBP)? I usually use my computer for these few things: iTunes, Safari, Acqlite, MSN, iMovie (occaisionally), watching HD trailers, watching DVD's, and playing some games (WoW, The Sims 2, etc.). Will I need the MBP's dedicated GPU?

7. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

For the normal tasks (word processing, itunes, idvd, etc.) the 64mb video RAM is fine...For games it is a bit different. WoW supposedly plays well on the MB at low settings, especially with 2GB of RAM. I havent heard about the Sims 2, but if that is the 3D perspective one i bet it would suffer a bit, or would play on low setting. Search on the forums for Macbook game threads, like this, or this, this and this.