Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
With firefox on my pc and mac, when i open a pdf, it asks to open or save, where as safari has built in pdf viewing, which is nice, but how would i save a pdf?

Thanks

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
File menu -> Save. ;) If it's a frame inside a page, you can right click on it (or two-finger click or ctrl-click or whatever).
See, I got beat to this post, because I wanted to test it to make sure I got the "Download Linked File As..." terminology correct, but I accidentally downloaded a PDF in Safari 3 beta, which happens to cause Safari to crash; so mkrishnan beat me to it!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Really? I'm on a PPC, so I'm using SchubertIt's plugin, which I prefer to the standard quicktime PDF browser viewing, but I haven't heard anyone else complain about PDFs not working in Safari 3....

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
On a side note

Besideds saving the PDF using the File Save like everyone else pointed there is the less efficient but more universal method too. File->Print then click the PDF option and you can save any file you can print (in almost any Application) as a PDF.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Besideds saving the PDF using the File Save like everyone else pointed there is the less efficient but more universal method too. File->Print then click the PDF option and you can save any file you can print (in almost any Application) as a PDF.

The thing to be careful about this is that (as far as I know), if the PDF contains any special features such as fillable forms, links, indexing, a table of contents, etc, these features probably get lost if you do it this way.

But I make a large amount of use of this feature. At least daily. It's one of my favorite little things in OS X. :)

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
when you right click, you have the option to zoom in and out, and file save only saves the web page. i think if i open with finder, right click, i can then save, but it is kind of annoying.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
when you right click, you have the option to zoom in and out, and file save only saves the web page. i think if i open with finder, right click, i can then save, but it is kind of annoying.

No, no....

Are you using Adobe's plug in?

If you use Apple's standard PDF reader, and the PDF is the only thing loaded in the page (i.e. the URL ends in ...pdf) then File -> Save will save the PDF file. If there's an HTML file, it won't, but right clicking will.

If you're using Adobe's plugin, I have no idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.