Saving PDF from safari

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by silbeej, Oct 22, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

Northern part of the Eastern United States
    With firefox on my pc and mac, when i open a pdf, it asks to open or save, where as safari has built in pdf viewing, which is nice, but how would i save a pdf?

Thanks

2. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

File menu -> Save. ;) If it's a frame inside a page, you can right click on it (or two-finger click or ctrl-click or whatever).

3. macrumors 68020

See, I got beat to this post, because I wanted to test it to make sure I got the "Download Linked File As..." terminology correct, but I accidentally downloaded a PDF in Safari 3 beta, which happens to cause Safari to crash; so mkrishnan beat me to it!

4. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Really? I'm on a PPC, so I'm using SchubertIt's plugin, which I prefer to the standard quicktime PDF browser viewing, but I haven't heard anyone else complain about PDFs not working in Safari 3....

5. macrumors 6502

jellomizer

On a side note

Besideds saving the PDF using the File Save like everyone else pointed there is the less efficient but more universal method too. File->Print then click the PDF option and you can save any file you can print (in almost any Application) as a PDF.

6. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The thing to be careful about this is that (as far as I know), if the PDF contains any special features such as fillable forms, links, indexing, a table of contents, etc, these features probably get lost if you do it this way.

But I make a large amount of use of this feature. At least daily. It's one of my favorite little things in OS X. :)

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Northern part of the Eastern United States
    when you right click, you have the option to zoom in and out, and file save only saves the web page. i think if i open with finder, right click, i can then save, but it is kind of annoying.

8. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, no....

Are you using Adobe's plug in?

If you use Apple's standard PDF reader, and the PDF is the only thing loaded in the page (i.e. the URL ends in ...pdf) then File -> Save will save the PDF file. If there's an HTML file, it won't, but right clicking will.

If you're using Adobe's plugin, I have no idea.