Saving RAM to Hard Drive for Fast Restore?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheSpaz, Dec 21, 2006.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

Jun 20, 2005
    Here's an idea I came up with... I think it's very cool. Let's say you go to shut down your computer. It would be neat if you could choose a shutdown option that will load your RAM onto your hard drive so that the next time you boot, the RAM contents get restored from the hard drive and you leave off exactly where you were without having to put your computer to sleep. Here, at work, we shut down completely at night and it would be kinda nice to come into the same workflow/setup that we were into the night before.

I think an App that could do this would be very easy to make... although I have no experience designing or coding applications.

Anyone agree?
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    That's what safe sleep does. It does work on desktops too, more here.

If the power gets pulled while the machine is asleep, it does what you had in mind.
  3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

Jan 15, 2006
    The Kop

If you have a laptop you can already do this by changing a value in Terminal, there are many instructions on the Web about how to do this, it is called "Safe Sleep". I have even written a small program (applescript) for my friend who has a laptop to do this.

So the possibility is there just depends on apple if they want to include it, in a user frinedly way, on desktop machines.

It does not work on my iMac Core 2 Duo 20" as of 10.4.7 but ill check later on if it works under 10.4.8
  4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

Jun 20, 2005
    I realize the deal about Safe Sleep but, the whole point was... making it so that you could manually shut down the computer and have an option to save the current desktop state. I think virtual PC had this feature before you Quit. It would be handy to have, seriously. I don't see how it could be a hard thing to do.
  5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Its seriously the same thing as "Safe Sleep," though. And its still something you do manually through the terminal.
  6. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    I'm struggling to see what the benefits of this would be on a non-laptop machine, compared to just putting the computer into a low-power sleep mode. I guess you'd save a bit more electricity and would gain the ability to unplug the machine without losing your work.

Has anyone tried enabling safe sleep mode on a Mac desktop? It can probably be done.