Saving television to my G4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sotied, Jun 22, 2005.

1. sotied macrumors regular

Hi all,

Anyone know how I can save my Tivo'd programs to either my Dual Processor G4 with two internal drives (one 60GB and one 12GB)?

OR, does anyone know how I can save my shows to my external 200GB firewire/USB drive?

*I have a SuperDrive in the G4. The Tivo is 80GB. I don't know enough Linux or other programming to hack the Tivo. The G4 doesn't have an S-Video In card, but I could get a USB/Firewire to video cable for the Tivo and MAYBE record to the DVD burner.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

The legality of the following is debatable, but I don't see any moral problems, especially if you have a copy of the episode on a TiVo.

Find a nice Bittorrent tracker ([site name removed] is the largest), get Bits on Wheels (just switched from Azureus, I prefer BoW now), and download the episodes you want.

This will me much faster than trying to transfer from your TiVo, and come preencoded in a high-quality and highly efficient codec. Figure 300-400 megs for a tv show, vs. about 1 gig for the TiVo's default mpeg2.

3. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

If by that you mean can you extract the video from the TiVo and save it on the G4 for watching it there, the answer is no (or at least, not yet).

4. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

Well if you have a TiVo with DVD Recorder you can burn the file to the DVD and then use Handbrake to rip it.