Saving to the desktop in tiger.....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kingsnapped, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Is verrrrry buggy for me. "Save image to desktop" does nothing, and downloaded files don't appear on there until I hit the search button in the DL window. Anybody else?

2. Bear macrumors G3

It would help if you mentioned what piece of software you were using when experiencing the issues. And if it's a web broswer, maybe a smple link or two to sites where you are having the issue.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, I'm not having any trouble in Safari, if that's the app you're talking about. I just saved your 'tar to the desktop and it opened with Preview as it should. BTW, anyone noticed that Preview is handling GIFs much better now. It's hard to explain, but it's better.

4. Kingsnapped thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

It was with a simple .jpg in safari. Just didnt' work. Same with a lot of downloaded files (downloaded a bunch of mac ads last night :D), and decompressed .sit folders. My desktop stayed clear as a whsle until I searched for said items.

BUT... for some reason, my computer shut off in it's sleep. When I turned it on this morning, all the crap showed up on the desktop, and now the function works.

I still miss a simple "save image as..."

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Hold the option key (aka alt key) down while right-/ctrl-clicking the image (or download link) and you get your Save as...

6. phastings macrumors newbie

Icons never used to appear on the desktop for me in Panther - you had to switch to the finder to force the dektop to refresh...

Peter

7. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I always just double clicked on the desktop to get new items to show up.