Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Hey guys.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with saving information through javascript.

For example, I'm developing a widget, and I want to add the ability for the user to be able to save the text of the story they are reading.

It doesn't have to automatically save, I'm fine with a dialog box can pop up asking them where/if they would like to save the file.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Just need to be steered in the right direction.

Thanks a bunch.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The general JavaScript environment (in a web browser) explicitly can't write to local files at all. You might have some luck as you are in Dashboard but I suspect it'd be better to write the save component in Cocoa and link that to your widget (which is easily possible).

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
The general JavaScript environment (in a web browser) explicitly can't write to local files at all. You might have some luck as you are in Dashboard but I suspect it'd be better to write the save component in Cocoa and link that to your widget (which is easily possible).

Thanks a bunch for that. I've seen many widgets that have the ability to save and I guess thats the way they do it. Plugins.

Now I need to learn Cocoa and figure out how to implement it into the widget :rolleyes:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
There's nothing to stop you from using

Code:
widget.setPreferenceForKey(preference, key)
widget.preferenceForKey(key)

to store strings. AFAIK.

That stores the data in the user preferences, a binary or text xml file in ~/Library/Preferences. This should not be used to store anything other than user preferences...

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
So I realized what I wanted could be done a lot easier with AppleScript than in JavaScript.

So I successfully created a .scrpt file and then learnt that I needed to use Xcode to create a bundle for the widget.

So I simply created a Carbon (or was it Cocoa?) bundle project and added the Applescript to it. Then I changed the wrapper extension from .bundle to .widgetplugin.

I then added it to the widget (note; I'm using Dashcode) and thought I could call it successfully, but I'm kind of confused on the calling process....anyone know how its supposed to be done? My AppleScript has several functions in it, how do I call them, and also, am I calling by the scripts name it self or do I simply call the function name straight up from the widget?

Any help would be great

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.