Saw 14 iPod users on the way to work...

Discussion in 'Community' started by iAlan, Nov 11, 2003.

1. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

On the way to work this morning I saw 14 people with iPods. I also saw a couple of people on the way home last night (not sure if any were the same people!) and this is what prompted me to pay attention this morning! I could tell because of the headphones and/or the remote. There may have been more people listening to an iPod with their own headphones and the remote out of sight, but I couldn't tell. Also don't know if they were Mac or Windows iPod users.

Given it only takes me 10 minutes walking tiome and 15 minutes train time to get to work, 14 people is a good number. I will continue to count everyday to see how many I can reach, and if I encounter a cutie I may just ask..."Is your iPod for the Mac or Windows?"

Funny thing though, I didn't bring my iPod to work yesterday or today, so anyone who is also counting iPod users couldn't count me. Maybee I will just walk around with the remote clipped to my jacket!!

Anyone else counting how many iPod users they see?

2. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

I have only seen one iPod.

It belongs to a friend of mine. It's a first generation 5GB iPod, for Mac. It's unbelievable that you saw 14 people with iPods!

3. howard macrumors 68020

howard

hehe interesting pastime. i've never fully counted but i always notice if i see someone using an ipod, and i see ALOT i'm so surprised that its so mainstream with the price of it. i mean, really i only see people that are college age or older. if they got cheaper apple would open a whole new market of that middle-high school age.

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I haven't seen the first iPod in use in my city.

But today I saw 3 white Apple stikers on different cars. It is hard to see one once a month but I saw 3 today.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i do see a lot of iPods... not anywhere near that many, but still... and a lot more apple stickers have been popping up lately. used to be, you saw one (in iowa) and you'd wave at the guy and flash him yours. now, it's hard to avoid seeing one on a minivan or something...

pnw

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i used to have a white apple sticker on my legend, but i decided to keep my new acura free of any stickers, even a white apple.

iJon

7. iAlan thread starter macrumors 65816

iAlan

I only saw 5 people with iPods on the way to work this morning. I think 1 guy was a repeat from yesterday!

I also noticed one guy wearing a black t-shirt with the Panther 'X'. I noticed that BicCamera (an electroniuc chain store here in Tokyo that has several Apple Store-in-Store) was giving them away with new G5 and Panther purchses). This guy wasn't listening to an iPod, I am guessing he had a MD player as theremote looked like the one on the Sony device. MD players have been popular for quite some time, I used to use one before the iPoid came out.

SUCCESS STORY: One of my colleagues bought an iPod (although a Windows version) after seeing mine a month ago. I upgraded to the new 30G when it come out from my

Anyway...still counting

8. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I'm with the earlier poster, only seen one, and that was my friend's. And I live in San Francisco.....maybe I should pay more attention :).

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I seem all the time 'round here. I know atleast two people at my school have em too! :)

10. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

I've seen a few Marta riders with them in Atlanta, though I haven't really seen any since moving back, except all of the people at the Apple store and my mom. :)

We might have two ipods added into the family this Christmas though. My mom wants to get on for my brother and my aunt is considering one for my cousin, although money is tight for them this year, so she isn't sure if she wil get it or not.

Alia

11. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I've talked to about 3 people in my University that i've seen with them

but i've seen probably 5 others that i haven't talked to.

plus two friends had them last year when i was in high-school.

also, On campus i've seen 1 12" iBook, i guess G3, a see a guy with a new 12" PB, every few days, and i've seen a guy with a 15" Ti

i've seen an older lime coloured iBooks one of the TA's in a lecture has one..

I make it a point to spot an apple user.... i find i make an instant friend...

12. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

I'm always on the lookout for white cords peaking out of jackets around here at school. I have not seen one yet.. but my friend said he saw some kid yesterday with one.

Actually, to think of it.. I don't think I have ever seen someone else with one.. well I must have I just can't remember.

Also, since my school is HEAVILY influenced by IBM (we are like 5 miles from the plant where the G5s are made) there is no 'official' support for Macs. So seeing a Mac on campus is certainly rare...

13. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well the high count you noticed may be due to your location. Tokyo has the almost half the population of Canada in a place the size of Toronto! It's kind of hard to match that population density in North America.

I've only seen a couple of people with iPods here, both times were in the subway but I've never bothered talking to them, usually because you can't really move around the train during rush hour :eek:
    :) You've might have seen my brother's car on campus Rev, he's got apple sticker on it!

14. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

more often than not, i see at least one both on my way to work (brooklyn to midtown) and back. and i'm not even on the "cool" lines; i'm sure if you ride the L train, you can't swing a dead hipster without hitting an iPod.

i've started to look for multiples: two or more people next to each other listening to iPods. saw one yesterday, actually.

15. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I to have found myself in the situation where I am the only, or one of the only students on my campus to use Macintosh computers. The campus here at Northwest is "The Electronic Campus since 1987" Every lab is filled with ugly outdated underpowered Gateway boxes, and each dorm room has one said computer as well. In a campus of 5000 I know one other student who uses Macintosh, but he never leaves his room. I love taking my 15 inch AluBook everywhere with me. It gives almost a smug satisfaction that I'm packing more computing technology on my back than the vast majority of people have in their homes. Most people out here don't realize that Apple is not Microsoft, but I have gotten nothing but compliments on my machine. I have almost given up on explaining what Apple is, but alas, I must persist. On the 24th of November I will be giving an evangelical speech for my Oral Communication class. I will get the word out, somehow, I WILL save these souls that are near hopelessly lost.

16. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

He goes to mac? what year/program?

i'm in first year Soc SCI

17. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I usually see at least one iPod when I go to school. Sometimes two or three, but not really often. I see the most iPods when I go to airports or on planes.

Dan

18. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

If I counted the Apples...

My campus is in the second full year of it's laptop "initiative" where every freshman student in 3 different majors is leased an Apple laptop (some iBooks, some 12" PBs), so I see a lot of Apples around here...I've seen 3 or 4 iPods around too...probably helps that I'm a member of our campus' fledgling Mac User Group :)

19. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I see tons of people with iPods on my campus (U of Arizona), it's so cool! I've seen a lot of Apple Laptops too, I think that's partly due to the fact that the school is Apple certified, so there's a lot of Macs in the Bookstore.

20. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I'm at northwestern and I see tons of people with the white earbuds on my way too and from class. I see more macs than I'm used to too, but windows is still the vast majority. Which means lots of pc users are using ipods. Apple keeps bringing that mind-share up!

21. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i see them here at OU often, but never more than 2 or 3 in a day.

22. ebuc macrumors regular

Many an-iPod

In my high school History class my teacher asked me what I had when I was putting away my iPod before class, and, being a spur-of-the-moment kind of guy, asked the entire class who had an iPod.

Out of about 20 people about 6 people raised their hand.

Now, that's quite a lot 'o people. We're a Mac School, too.

23. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I know one guy that has an iPod. Besides me, no one else I see on a regular basis has one.

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The only iPods that I've seen live for sure is at my local Apple Store. Ocasionally I have wondered if a person has one, being polite has stopped my curiosity.

I do see a lot of iPod ad posters here in Boston on the MBTA buses, stops, & trollleys.

25. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Um to be honest, I can't remember exactly what it's going to say on his degree, but he's in his phd year of psychology. I'm not sure if he does any 1st year labs or seminars, but it's possible. It's no big deal if you've seen him or not ... he's just another Mac User at mac ;)

And to keep this 'thread worthy', he doesn't have an iPod to parade around with ... BUT I DO :D :p :D