Saw a black American Express card at LaGuardia last week

Discussion in 'Community' started by coolbreeze, Oct 12, 2003.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

So I'm using the United self check-in at LaGuardia airport, and the lady beside me asks me how to use the machine. I tell her that you need a credit card to validate your identity, and she pulls out a Black American Express card!! I've heard these are very rare, only a handheld # of celebrities and very wealthy people have them, but never believed it. I sad "wow, I've never seen a Black AmEx before!" She responded with "it's for business," and instantly began fumbling in her purse like she was ignoring me.

I was late for my flight so I had to run. Wonder who she was? More importantly, I wonder why black AmEx cards exist. (it was 5am, but I am absolutely sure it was a black AmEx).

Anyone else ever seen/heard of these?

2. polyesterlester macrumors 6502

From what I've read, it's called the Centurion, and it has no limit. You could buy a basketball team with it. You can't apply for it; if AmEx thinks you're wealthy enough, they give it to you. But you pay $1,000 a year for the privilege. There's apparently only about 100 of them in existence. It's the ultimate status credit card.

Some additional perks to the black card are the upgrades you get when you use it. Book a flight from New York to London and you get a complimentary upgrade on the Concorde. Book a room at the Ritz-Carlton, and you get an automatic room upgrade. Buy a burger at Hooters and you get oral (just kidding).

Frankly, I'm surprised that whoever was wealthy enough to be holding a black card wasn't smart enough to figure out the self check-in.

3. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

people who pay $1000/yr for unlimited credit generally have people who do their ticket buying & other grunt work for them... maybe her valet was sick that day.

4. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

I know it sounds suspect as to why she was doing this herself/didn't know how to use the kiosk, but I know what I saw. I'd always heard about the mysterious "black" AmEx, and Friday morning confirmed it.

I should have asked her to marry me on the spot:D

5. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

black card = power

you can get yourself a table in a restaurant with a 3 month waiting list any day you want. you never even have to make any arrangements yourself. if you call the card company, they take care of everything for you.

6. shecky Guest

shecky

people who pay $1000 for the supposed privilidge of having a black amex card just goes to show that you can be rich and still be an idiot.

7. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Too true, too true.

But if I had the money, I'd sure as hell take one!!

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

uh, right, the priviledge of having a black card... maybe you missed what it DOES? i think you can get a black credit card about anywhere, but this is in a class by itself.

jealous? i think so.

pnw

9. shecky Guest

shecky

-Upgrades to the Concorde at no additional cost with the purchase of a full-fare, first-class transatlantic ticket to or from London and any British Airways gateway in the United States.

do you have any idea what a full-fare 1st class ticket costs? just about $5900 US from NYC to London. for that kind of money i think i should get a hooker and an ounce of coke to snort off her ass also, nevermind the "free" upgrade to the concorde. if you have the $6K to drop on that flight, the the $11,000 US ticket on the Concorde is probablly not going to bug you too much either. The catch is that the Concorde is booked tightly and therefore the odds of you actually getting that upgrade are slim unless you book it 6 months in advance anyway. So, is that a true perk? If you fly a full fare, 1st class ticket to london here and there and if the circumstances work out then yes, the $1000 is well spent. Other than that the other stuff is all fluff. But i guess when you have $ falling out of your ass then that $1000 is chicken feed. But apparently that doesnt buy you the intellect to use an automated check in at the airport now then does it?

hell yes i am jealous, im a student seeing my loans pile up and up and up and i can think of a thousand things i can spend $1000 on that are actually useful instead of on some idiotic status symbol and an upgraded plane ride.

10. polyesterlester macrumors 6502

Oh, I believed you! I just thought it was kind of funny.

A $1,000 is nothing to someone with that kind of money. And worth it too, for those kind of perks.

11. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I doubt there's only about 100 in existence...At the store I used to work at, we used to see them come in now and then. Granted the town I live in has some VERY wealthy people in it (myself not included), however due to the amount of these cards I saw on a regular basis, I'd have to say there's probably more than 100 of them floating around.

Sometimes I think the Amex card that *I* have is more rare than the black ones. I've got one of these clear ones, and I swear, EVERY TIME I go somewhere and buy something with it, the checkout guy/girl says "wow I've never seen a clear one before," and then they go and show it to everybody!

[​IMG]

12. iGav macrumors G3

Black AmEx cards aren't that rare... they invite you to have a centurion card if you spend a certain (substantial) amount per year on your credit card simple as. As someone above stated, you have to pay for the privilege as well. :rolleyes:

The major pain in th ar$e is that AmEx cards, even the usual Platinum and Blue sort like the ones I used to have, are not accepted in a hell of alot of places... meaning that it's still abit of a lottery if you want to be able to use them everywhere.... and from personal experience their service is pi$$ poor too....

13. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Really? I've got one of the Blue ones, and I use it all the time. I have yet to have someone reject it...

14. iGav macrumors G3

That's cos your in America!!! :p outside of there, and particularly here, I've been in situations when I've tried to pay for meals in VERY expensive resturants only to have them turn around and say they don't accept AmEx cards.... :rolleyes: *cue, fiddling in wallet counting notes*, it's very embarrassing when that happens...

I had the Blue one first, right when they came out, and like yourself, everyone that saw it would moochy off and show it to people.... (made me feel quite special actually) once my spending hit a certain level (I used to live on my credit card) I was invited to have a Business Platinum.... but my experience with that was pretty dire, crappy Platinum service from AmEx themselves, and again, sometimes a pain to get it accepted in stores or bars etc etc....

I don't have any credit cards now, but that's because I'm trying to save £50k for a deposit on my own place.... :rolleyes: :eek: :D

15. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i've actually heard of the black card being mentioned on tv shows.... I think the biggest conveince is the unlimtied credit ppl with that money want to abuse the thing as much as they can without worrying about a balance. any pictures of this mysterious card?

16. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

17. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

YES, THAT'S IT!!
    Bwahahaha!!

18. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

19. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

20. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Found a picture.

EDIT: Sorry - Didn't see the previous posts :p

Attached Files:

21. panphage macrumors 6502

I work at an upscale restaurant in Santa Monica and I've personally handled at LEAST 20 of these cards. So they're not that rare. Also, the no-limit thing isn't really a perk, no amex card has a limit...but you have to pay off in full every month. You also have to pay a "membership fee" for any sort of Amex, but I think for the greenies it's only like $100 per annum. The "Blue" card is different, it's like a real credit card, but I bet they want their membership fee there as well.

I spoke with a customer once about his and he said the no-limit thing is bunk anyway, if he wanted to buy a Porsche with the thing the merchant would be directed to call Amex for approval. Apparently the black card is purely for status. But isn't having an Amex at all supposed to be a status thing? And how much status does it confer if you can't buy a measly Porsche w/o the dealer having to check up on you?

22. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

All in all i bet its more about the dealer not wanting to give away a porshce a person may not be able to pay for

23. polyesterlester macrumors 6502

Okay, I guess they're not that rare. The publication I read it from was from 1999.

24. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

The Blue cards do not have any membership fees, and they DO have a limit (mine's $6300--says so right on my account page).