Saw Something Yesterday...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by vwguy, Jul 10, 2004.

1. vwguy macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

I was at a Apple Store yesterday waiting at the Genius Bar for technical support. I was briefly looking at the left of the counter and when I turned my head the right, I saw a kid holding a powerbook walking away from the bar. It seem nothing at first but I do remember seeing a powerbook at the back of the counter and gone now. That kid briefly showed the powerbook to the another kid and they briskly walked out the store.

My suspicion grew every second because it just didn't look right to me. When the tech personnel came back from the back of the store, I asked her whether there is a powerbook at the back of the counter initially. She looked back and her face turned pale immediately. It turns out that kid has indeed stolen the 12" Powerbook! The police did come to take a report and retrieved the video from the security camera, I doubt the owner will ever get it back.

I guess the moral of the story is that anything can really happened and one can never be safe. Therefore, I hope all apple owners will inform the tech personnels of his incident when they bring their computer to the genius bar. They may or may not listened to you and even assure you that the security camera is in place... but nothing beats having their computers stolen and everyone is a loser at the end of day....

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I would of said something to the kids. Normally all theives especially kids are nervous when stealing things. Who wouldn't be nervous? What most likely would of happened that the kids would panic and run(maybe even dropping the pbook). But, there could be some kids would say,"Yeah, this notebook is mine."Then I would say,"What is the speed of the processor?" I would also say,"What is the name of the notebook and what is the processor name?" Then most likely they would run and I will be chasing after them to get it back.

3. belair macrumors 6502

belair

tough one

Its always easy to say " I would have…" afterwards. The thing is when such events take place their something in the air and you never know if its just you being paranoid or actually a kid stealing the laptop.

It's hard to do the right thing in such a case, its over so quickly. But hey I would have asked the Kid if he could tell me the name of the user folder and checked it with him standing along. I also would have taken out my AK47 and if he did not give me the correct answer I would have shot him in the leg.

Make my day! Punk!

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Heh, I'm surprised they don't even have microsavers at the counter to lockup the PB. But then again, if it's not the Apple store's stuff, who cares. Well, looks like the customer whose PB got stolen will get a brand new one. Hope there's nothing critical on that PB though.