Sawtooth case becomes new PC.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fBaran, Aug 19, 2006.

1. fBaran macrumors regular

Not sure if this is the right section, but here I go.
    I recently got my hands on a great condition Sawtooth case (no guts, just Zip drive left), and I'm going to use it to make an AMD or Intel based PC. My main concern/question is about the motherboard: is it mini-itx, mini-atx, micro-atx? That should be the only physical thing I should keep in mind, yes? Beats the heck out of me, so any help would be appreciated, suggestions too. Thanks!
    ---
    Please, no trolling, I just need some help and advice; don't need to hear about ruining the case with Windows in it. Thanks.

2. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

This is coming from my partner, she says mini's would work but be limited. Micro AMD is the way to go. However it all depends on where you want placements of things like the ram and getting it to fit. Also because of the location of the slots it might be hard to get an Optical Drive in there, and you'd also have to drill your own holes to sit the board inside the case. And probably mod the back a bit to line up everything.

It's doable. Not easy but should look cool when you are done. I have a G3 (yosemite) case here waiting to do the same things one day.

3. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

PLEEEEEEZE post pics. i'd really love to see em. a video of the assembly would be great. i wanna try that with my B&W G3 case.

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

All Macs are custom mother board designs so whatever you pick you will have to mod the case a bit to get them in there. The Sawtooth isn't very cramped for space so I would say go for one of the larger boards so you get more power for your money and can have some expansion room in the future.

5. fBaran thread starter macrumors regular

6. fBaran thread starter macrumors regular

No can do, I measured out a full ATX board and it won't fit very well. I do, however, have some pics. Sorry for the glare, I didn't feel like making it a photoshoot :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. fBaran thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and finally a fried mini-atx card. I'll be using this to make the proper holes for when I actually do get the real mobo. The back panel of the case will be dremeled out and so that everything will be properly fitted. Stay tuned folks, in another 2 months I'll another set of pics to post. And I guarantee I probably won't even have half of the necessary parts:p

8. fBaran thread starter macrumors regular

After a few months of diong nothing, I decided to do some research and get this project over with already. As of right now, I just need to order a motherboard, some RAM, a CPU, work on the cabling issue since I'm leaving the original working of the power buttons etc... intact (if you don't know what I'm talking about you'll understand in one of the links I provided), and mod the I/O panel, and I'm done :)
    ---
    First, I had to buy a dremel. At the Home Depot I found this for about $35. You're going to use it a lot.[​IMG]

Next, I had to buy get some spacers to hold the motherboard down. $5 got me these, and if I paid too much, too bad. I needed them:p [​IMG]

Now that you have that, go get your drill and a 1/8" (3.175 mm) bit. You'll use it to make the hole where the new spacers are going to fit. If you use a bit larger than that, the hole will be too big. Better tight than loose, if you know what I mean. I used the longer spacers everywhere except where the PCI slots are. I use the shorter one there because the area is slightly elevated.
    ----
    You're going to remove all the old standoffs/spacers from the case. I circled them in red. It's goint to be annoying and dusty, so do it outside. You'll go through about 20 discs (the dremel kit came with 36). [​IMG]

=====
    Before making the holes in the case, you need to make measurements, remember? I placed a NIC card on the mobo so that I could line it up to the slots and not risk anything stupid. Also, since the mobo I used was dead I ripped off the parallel, serial, and vga ports because since they protrude you won't be able to have the mobo flush to the case. You'll understand when you try it. REMEMBER: be patient! Measure 10 times, cut once. Heck, measure while you're cutting!!
    =====

After the ordeal, you'll end up with something like this. I used the dremel to make areas around where the spacers will be so that the door mechanism could slide perfectly and also so that I can just take off the plastic-door-mechanism-thing if necessary.[​IMG]

Once everything is in nice working order, the inside should look good and feel great to look at, as well as feel sturdy. :cool: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzUx and http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=617&redirect=yes helped me out A LOT. One is a step by step on how to do everything, the other is just shots of how neatly he organized the interior.

Well, I hope that this thread was useful. What I wanted to accomplish is to at least make it accessible to anyone interested in such a project. The fact that I only found those two websites depressed me, so I figured since it'll be here it would make it more public, and thus making me sound more redundant...? Before I start repeating repeating myself, thanks for checking out this thread. Hope you liked it and inspires you. ZOMG teh cheeseeniss iz c0mingz....
    Think different :apple:

EDIT: Forgot to mention that when the project's all done, I'll have final pics of the setup and specs :)

9. fBaran thread starter macrumors regular

Update

My parts:
    • Pentium D 2.66Ghz
    • ASUS P5PE-VM
    • SILVERSTONE SST-ST365 ATX 360W Power Supply
    • Arctic Silver Ceramique Thermal Compound
    Finding a heatsink/fan that'll fit is rather tough because of I have about 2-2.5 inches MAX from the CPU before it smacks into the PSU. Please!! If you have any suggestions, send them my way.
    -----
    Now onto the good stuff...

To accommodate the I/O panel from the new motherboard meant that I had to get rid of the old panel out back. With my dremel (told ya you'd need it :) ) and some patience (yet again) I got rid of the hole thing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So now I have to show off a little and show the front. I'm pretty psyched about it.
    [​IMG]
    ------
    I got my PSU in and realized that the side fan blows right into the side of the case, so I had to make an exhaust hole. Here's the result:
    [​IMG]

Since there's not much airflow in and/or out of the case, I had to throw in a new fan considering I'll be stuffing a Pentium D in there. The hole's not made yet, but I think the best spot for it would be here:
    [​IMG]

----
    The most annoying thing about this beautiful case is that when the air blows out, it's gonna get trapped by the panels. I guess it's just something I'll have to live with :(

10. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Neat project. Are you going to tape a Windoze logo over the :apple: ? :D

Just out of curiosity, why not just get a PC case that is already laid out right?

11. fBaran thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks :) I'm keeping the apples but I'm going to just gloss them over to make 'em nice and shiny. With the black finish behind them, they'll give that dark blue/purple look the front of the case has (the shiny part).

As for not getting a PC case that's ready to go...well, I've done that already. it was easy, just buy, plug, and go. First off, I love the case. The look is so sleak and I love that it kinda floats off the ground with the handles. The way it opens is jawesome too. It's got subtle things about it...just like it's gonna have nice specs in there. Plus, this is my first real actual modding project, and I thought "hey, I have this free G4 case, why not do something you don't see everyday?" So yeah, I feel like I'm writing a novel...so there are your reason. Plus, a quick glance at it and you'll think it's just a painted G4. Take a closer look and you'll see it's a little more than just that :D

12. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Well, Cool man, keep on doin what you're doin! I dig it!

I like the case too, I have an old Blue and White G3 I'm still using, and its pretty cool looking. I also like how it opens, makes it super easy to work on!

13. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

14. fBaran thread starter macrumors regular

15. fBaran thread starter macrumors regular

Well, since I ordered an extra fan for (hopefully) better airflow, I had to make an opening for it.

Inside:
    [​IMG]

Outside:
    [​IMG]

Also, it turns outI have on reason to freak about where the hot air is going to go wieh it's blown out. On the bottom there's space between the panel and the case (don't be fooled, I'm not pushing up. That's existing space):
    [​IMG]

16. bxrx macrumors newbie

fBaran, if the asus board you've got is a socket 775 I suggest getting the Ultra Xwind cooling fan. The fan is a giant 120mm beast and the heat sink is about 2 pounds of copper. I'm doing the same thing you are to a Blue and White case. The Xwind fits in with about 3/8 inch to spare until you get to the edge of your power supply.

I'm hunting for a way to get the original power/reset buttons to work with my mother board. Any suggestions?

Here is what I'm using...
    mobo: Gigabyte 965gm-S2
    cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
    psu: Ultra 600w X-finity
    ram: 2 GB Kingston ddr2 pc 5300
    hdd: Seagate 320GB SATA @ 7200 rpm

I also ordered some power supply extensions for the motherboard and the processor. I avoided having issues with my ram banging into the optical drive by getting a Panasonic UJ-85J 8X Slim dvd burner. I avoided clearance issues but in doing so I have to come up with a way to mount the slimdrive into the case.

The B&W case that I'm cramming this stuff into doesn't have the air holes in the side for the 120mm and I may end up drilling some.

17. karlos macrumors newbie

great stuff

fBaran, your work looks real good. I will be following your progress with much interest.

I have just received my quicksilver case which I plan to convert to an atx config, but I am still planning it all out.

I saw on one site where the CDROM was moved lower down in the tower to provide more clearance, so I will be investigating that option.
    Might be useful in your situation too??

I have a trivial question though. Did you guys tap thread into the holes for the mainboard mounts?

cheers, karlos

18. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Sacrilege!!!

Ok ok, good work. :D It looks awesome. Just out of curiosity, how much do you think you'll have spent on it when done?

19. fBaran thread starter macrumors regular

So far

2 cans of spray paint $10
    high gloss enamel for the apples $0 (the shed)
    150 grit sandpaper $3
    Dremel and extra cutting discs $40-$45
    Screws and stuff $5
    Mobo, psu, cpu, thermal paste, fan $195
    Time and patience $0
    For an approximate total $250-ish

I've had the hard drives from previous computers, and I still have to get a heatsink and some ram...so $30 + who knows? So I guess a complete total of just over 300 bucks. For me, absolutely worth it. :)

20. fBaran thread starter macrumors regular

I saw someone mount the optical drive on the bottom near the rear due to the tight space, but I'm _really_ hoping I won't have to.

Tapping threads? Nope! Just drilled holes and went in with the screw and driver nice and slow.

21. karlos macrumors newbie

Drive mounting

The one I'm referring to actually mounted the optical drive lower down near the FRONT of the case. The front plastic was turned upside down to accommodate opening and closing the drive tray. A bit more work, but 100 times better than a rear mounted drive (that's just wrong!!).

22. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I think I will do this to my B&W G3. But I am going to leave the case color alone.

That way I can install osx86 and dual boot into windoze to play Crysis.

23. fBaran thread starter macrumors regular

Ladies and gentlemen...

I have finished the project! I a few days I'll finish putting together a small video of the final moments, and I'll also post up what I did, etc... In the meantime though, feast your eyes upon this!!

[​IMG]

24. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

uummmm, osx86 hack, uummm, lol, id watch what ya put on this forum on this subject, osx86project is more the place

25. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Any Core 2 Duo > Pentium D

Might not want to make too much noise over the fact you have OS X on it, it's not exactly seen as kosher round these parts.