Sawtooth G4 Upgrade Options

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, May 16, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have the original Sawtooth 450MHz machine, scsi drives, apg graphics, and I want to extend its life by adding a new processor. What are my options? I see that I can get dual 500s, but I'd really like to get something a bit faster. Can my machine handle duals?

If anyone has the answer to these questions, that would be great.

Thanks.

2. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Oh My God...

I get to answer a question for the great dukestreet. Ive recently explored the same question for my Cube (450/AGP Radeon), and none of the available Sawtooth upgrades (the Cube is based on the Sawtooth board) support my Cube. BUT my loss is your gain, as I've discovered two options for upgrades. You already know about the Dual 500 upgrade (Sonnet Technologies, $699), and XLR8 has just released a 550 upgrade (XLR8, $299). Neither of these are really what I'm looking for, as I want a little more juice. You seem to be in the same boat, so I'll tell you the good news. Newer Tech is back in business! I've e-mailed them and they are promising some excellent upgrade options in the near future.

If anyone else knows of upgrade possibilities for either the Sawtooth PCI or AGP machines, please let us know! I refuse to let this thread die until I've found a solid upgrade for this machine. I love my Cube too much to let it die.;)

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Excellent, this is exactly the type of news I was hoping for. I really like NewerTech, I bought a G3 upgrade from them way back for my PowerComputing Power Tower Pro. Good stuff. Oh, to have Dual 800s, that would be sweet, that would be almost 4x my processing power I have now, mmmmm, tasty.

Thanks wsteineker

4. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Hey, any time duke. Like I said, just glad to be of service given my relative newness to the world of Macintosh. I'm REALLY excited about NewerTech, too. Dual 800s would be SO sweet. Think of it...a Radeon and dual 800s with Quartz Extreme and true Finder multi-threading. *changes pants* Now I guess I have to start looking for an internal fan for those bad boys that will fit in my Cube. Unlike most Cube owners I've encountered, I don't mind the noise. It's the aesthetic I'm in love with, and I don't want to muck it up with an external fan. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.