Sax

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Dec 5, 2012.

1. macrumors P6

dukebound85

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a saxophone?

I used to play (alto) in middle school then had to move and never picked it up since. However, I think it would be cool to start again.

As far as make, I would like to get a decent quality sax. I remember my old one was a yamaha.

Any recommendations out there?

2. macrumors 65816

aerok

Go to your local music instrument store, they usually give great advice. And settle down for a used one, I paid mine $600 used. A brand new one would have cost me $2000. I play the tenor, the alto is a bit cheaper.

3. macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Are you getting something simply to practice with, or to perform with as well?

(Either way, buy used with warranty)

4. macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

If you want to go digital, there are all kinds of electronic wind instruments on the market now that didn't exist back then. IE the Akai EWI

Obviously not the same as hitting levers and blowing on a reed, but kind of a cool alternative to acoustic

5. macrumors 604

wordoflife

I agree with buying used. If you're not sure you'll keep it, and you want to wet your feet in the water... just rent it.

You sure first see what your options are ... for example, I think one of the stores around here only sell Vitos. It would be easier to help you if you have some parameters.

6. thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

practice. No desire to perform really

----------

I wouldn't know the parameters to even state really aside from these

Cost: sub 1000
    New or used
    Quality brand

7. macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Have you seen the Selmer AS500? I have one and it's nice... I recommend you try renting one for a month from a local shop before deciding which one to buy.

8. macrumors 604

ravenvii

I can't be the only one to click on the thread because I read the title as "Sex". :D

9. macrumors 68040

tech4all

Not everyone has a dirty mind! :rolleyes:

Kidding! :D

So what happens when you look in the mirror ravenvii? Referring to your avatar. :p

(sorry for going of topic)

10. macrumors 65816

ejb190

Whatever you decided to do, try the instrument out first.

I play euphonium. Bought a horn (Yamaha YEP-201) off eBay a number of years ago. Kind of wish I had a chance to play it first, as I probably wouldn't have bought it. I have played two horns of the exact same model where one was a dream and the other a complete lemon.