Scalia Ridicules Court's Gay Sex Ruling

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TimDaddy, Oct 24, 2003.

1. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    by ANNE GEARAN

WASHINGTON (AP) - Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia ridiculed his court's recent ruling legalizing gay sex, telling an audience of conservative activists Thursday that the ruling ignores the Constitution in favor of a modern, liberal sensibility.
    The ruling, Scalia said, ``held to be a constitutional right what had been a criminal offense at the time of the founding and for nearly 200 years thereafter.''
    Scalia adopted a mocking tone to read from the court's June ruling that struck down state antisodomy laws in Texas and elsewhere.
    Scalia wrote a bitter dissent in the gay sex case that was longer than the ruling itself.
    On Thursday, Scalia said judges, including his colleagues on the Supreme Court, throw over the original meaning of the Constitution when it suits them.
    ``Most of today's experts on the Constitution think the document written in Philadelphia in 1787 was simply an early attempt at the construction of what is called a liberal political order,'' Scalia told a gathering of the Intercollegiate Studies Institute.
    ``All that the person interpreting or applying that document has to do is to read up on the latest academic understanding of liberal political theory and interpolate these constitutional understandings into the constitutional text.''
    Scalia is a hero of conservatives who favor a strict adherence to the actual text of the Constitution.
    The 50-year-old Intercollegiate Studies Institute is a private conservative education organization that sponsors lectures and conferences and scholarships. The group says its mission is to, ``enhance the rising generation's knowledge of our nation's founding principles - limited government, individual liberty, personal responsibility, free enterprise and Judeo-Christian moral standards.''
    ISI draws much of its funding from conservative foundations, including three controlled by or associated with billionaire philanthropist Richard Mellon Scaife, a vehement critic of former President Clinton.

This just makes me sick. One of the reason I consider myself a conservative, and the reason I vote Republican more often than not, is because I don't like the government telling me how to live my life and take care of myself. Who the hell do these people think they are? We've got people trying sneak weapons into our country to kill us with, we've got at least one nation trying hard to develope a nuke to blow us off the map, and we've got China, who, if I remember correctly admits to having sixteen nuclear missiles pointed directly at us "just in case". So, our government, who is sworn to protect us, needs to be telling adults what they can and cannot do in their own bedrooms? Is anal sex really an issue? I have anal sex with my wife on occasion, am I going to be the next target? I am voting for a democrat for the governor of KY this year, and if moderates like McCain and even Bush can't get these right-wingers under control, then the national republicans may have lost me as a voter.

:mad:

:D But, I gota go! I just got a call from independent candidate for KY Attorney Gerneral Gatewood Galbraith. I have to go to his office real quick and get a few more campaign items to pass out!! W00--H00!! Go Independents!! Make America free again!!

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

would just tell everyone to vote libertarian! democrats & republicans both suck in my opinion, and you are right about sex with the wife, even oral sex is considered unlawful in many states. law after law after law. you get right down to it they have made everyone a law breaker. cant come home after a long days work & burn one? cant do the wife but only this way, cant smoke in public places, cant jay walk whatever the heck that is, im like you and lean republican just because of all the stupid crap out of the democratic party but lately the republicans have gotten just as bad or worse with the pretend homeland security bs. when will these yo yo's figure out that most americans want govt to stay and keep the heck out of our live's since there is only 2 things govt does well,--wage war and collect taxes other then that they suck at everything.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Scalia Ridicules Court's Gay Sex Ruling

interesting. i wonder how many other registered republicans feel the same way.

thanks for posting the story, too. scalia scares me.

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Am I the only one who found the juxtaposition of anal sex and KY amusing?

Is KY a lubricant over there too?

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Re: Scalia Ridicules Court's Gay Sex Ruling

it is, and i had to read the sentence twice to figure out he was talking about Kentucky.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Ah good ol' Kentucky Jelly. I hear it's good on toast.

7. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    only the flavored brand....;)

as for scalia, he's living proof that a good education can indeed be wasted. bitter and stupid is a sad way to go through life much less serve out an appointment to the supreme court.

8. TimDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    Re: Re: Scalia Ridicules Court's Gay Sex Ruling

LMAO!!! I didn't even notice. And yes, we go through lots of KY here in KY.

9. frescies macrumors regular

HEY!! LEave MY anus out of this!!! You're not taking me down with you!

-TimDADDY's Wife

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And just so we understand the stakes, George Bush is on record as holding up Scalia as the kind of justice he'd appoint to the Supreme Court.

11. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Imagine the new federal bureaucracy that could be created.

Department of Homeland Insecurity
    Office of Sodomy
    Sphincter-Crime Investigation Division
    Antonin Scalia: “Head” Under-the-Covers Detective

Think of the badges/patches that could be designed ...
    Photoshop anyone?

12. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Besides having waaay too much info on TimDaddy's personal life, I have to agree that the right's campaign to make this ruling into a major campaign issue (Scalia is just one of the opening guns) may come back to haunt Bush with civil libertarian voters of all political stripes.

Oh, by the way there were a host of sexual acts covered under the Sodomy laws - it's not just anal sex. So watch out one and all.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yeah, especially behind you.

Must... learn... to... resist...

14. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

LOL, you should ask for a "rim shot" for that one IJ, but that has tooo many other meanings to contemplate. Whoa, this is degenerating quickly! :D

15. iPC macrumors 6502

iPC

Most of these sexual act laws are based on one thing, the Bible. This is why I have never believed in the statement that the US gov't is about "the separation of church and state" when it comes to anything. Look at the currency... all have the word "God" on there somewhere (IN GOD WE TRUST). What a crock of sh$t.

Another thing, why is it that the US Supreme Court Justice position is a lifetime position? No other judgeship is, that I know of. No other policy making position (laws are just public policies) is lifetime, without being elected over and over again (Strom).

The system is broken. 1/4 billion people can not be "represented" by 2 political parties. I am pro-gun, pro-choice, anti-drug, anti-corporation, and for taking care of America before everyone else (Iraq, etc). Who "represents" my views?

16. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Actually, much of the blame for the Supreme Court/life terms can be placed on Hamilton. At one point during the Convention, he demanded a life term for the Supreme Court, the Presdency AND the Senate. Even left for a few days to try and make his point. I was in France at the time so I could do nothing... though some of my friends did try to impeach Salmon Chase, due to his support of the Sedition Act under the Adams administration.

On your lack of choices in a party, well ... I am tanned, rested and ready ...

17. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

But you still have that nasty slave-owning background that kind of makes you unelectable. Besides didn't you already serve two terms? Without a constitutional change, I think moldy, old, dead, two-term former Presidents cannot run. Sorry. By the way - that Bill of Rights thing - brilliant!

18. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I took a class on legal rulings, politics, and sexuality a few years ago...one of the most interesting things to come out of it is how unlikely those sodomy laws were to be prosecuted against married couples, due to the extreme privacy allowed to marriage.
    Ergo, lift the ban on sodomy, or legalize marriage to extend the privacy protections.
    :-D
    I can't wait till the mass supreme court (or any of the others) finally rules...im hoping to see same-sex marriage within the next year...when i used to think i wouldnt see it in my lifetime.
    --carly

19. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

For purely tactical reasons I hope the Mass. Supreme Court waits until after the election (do you know if they have set a schedule to make a decision?) I don't want this next election to center around the bias of the US electorate around same-sex marriage.

20. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i think the mass sc has to hand down a decision by their next round of cases. im not sure when that would be, but i know they have to do somehting wiht it eventually...i doubt they could wait until after 2004, sadly.
    --carly