Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dezigNergy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
That's what i thought. hmmmm. I had a chat with him and this is what he replied with...

"First I want to tell you that my computers are brand new ,
all accessories included and also an international warranty.
The invoice will come at the same time with the package.
My buy it now price is the best you could get: 1000usd/unit, including the
shipping and insurance taxes. We will pay them because the package
will be delivered from Europe.
As delivery service we use UPS2days air service (with insurance and
15 days return policy), because it's the faster. And if you will have
a quick payment, we must also have a quick delivery. So that's why we
use as a payment method Western Union money transfer, the fastest and
also very secure way of sending money.
So, if you agree with my terms I'm sure
that we can close the deal as soon as possible.
Waiting your quick answer right now,"

Very suspious.

:)

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Don't use Western Union.

It's that simple; it's amazing that they think you'll believe them when they say it's secure - it's blatently not secure for transactions with anyone other than family members. Don't use it for business.

Insist on Paypal / escrow, and use only escrow.com

andy.

Incidentally, I was looking on eBay a while back, and there were a couple of different Powerbooks, all by 'different' vendors, being offered for $1000. And all the offers were too good to be true. If it seems that way, then it probably is.

Benj

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2004
London
Plus, why would someone in the UK with iMacs target the US when they could get way more money and less shipping hassle by selling over here?

eBay needs to sort its act out - it has just become a cyber-fence.

I don't think it will be long before they end up on the receiving end of investigations for receiving stolen property or similar - they can't just wash their hands of all responsibility.

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2003
Definitely a con. Western Union Is an absolute never use for an internet transaction with someone you don't implicitly trust. Plus they are "overseas". They always are!

Another good hint: Take a look at the "Sellers" previous buying / selling history by clicking through some feedback links and looking at previous auctions.

I often see nothing but quilting supplies / knicknacks, then suddenly 3 or 4 G5's for sale cheap.

I doubt granny stumbled on a sudden supply of G5's while at a craft show.

Instead granny replied to a phishing scam, and now this dweedle dick has her info.

PS. Always fun to mess up these scam auctions by playing along with the pig"Lover" I follow through, get their info, insist on a phone number for voice contact, which they will usually give ya. Then i make it a point to call every hour on the hour to voice just how much I appreciate their contribution to the ebay community every hour on the hour until the line is disconnected :D

Bill

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Heya,

BillHarrison definately has a point when he says to make sure you check previously sold items; the Powerbook I mentioned earlier at $1000 was sold by someone who had sold 137 items, ranging from children's duvet covers (for 99p) to children's model trains (£7.50). And then suddenly a Powerbook G4.

Be careful :eek:

andy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.