scan disk hold my photos?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by brobson, Sep 25, 2004.

1. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

I am getting the iMac G5 on Oct 11th (ordered Sept 12) and it's in Japan.
    ANyway my 333 G5 is full.
    Someone upgraded my hardrive to 60 from 6 but only put 7GB on my startup disk and the rest isn't accessable. grrrrrr
    Doesn't matter, new unit coming.
    My question is that I keep getting startup disk full message.
    Can I store my son's video footage from our Kodak camera onto a 256 scan disk (little memory stick) or do I risk loosing it?
    I could trash Photoshop or Illustrator till the 11th but I am afraid of losing saved stuff.
    Any advice?
    BR

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Sure, you can do that. Or burn a cd with stuff. Also there are programs that let's you make your partition on your harddisk bigger, like iPartition or VolumeWorks. Unfortunately they aren't free.

3. zv470 macrumors 6502

"333 G5" ? =]

hmm, wonder why the rest isn't accessible? Do you need to format the other partition?

Backup would be a good idea first though. :)

4. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

isnt that the 8GB limit the early imacs have on large drives. It sounds like the drive wasnt partitioned when it was installed and the imac is only seeing the a small part of the total drive.

Can you lose a few apps to make space? or you should back your files to cd/FW anyway.

If you are running osx you might have all the printer drivers & language file installed. You can save a lot of space by removing these file. There is a program call something like "delocalizer" that get rid of the language files.

The printer file are in Your HD/library/printers I only have the epson priners installed on my g4 and the printer folder is 527.1MB! on my imac 233 (4gb hd) ive only got the 740 driver & it takes up 5mb

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Not sure if this is an option for you or not, but can you hook up the old iMac to the new G5 use a firewire cable and "target disk mode" ? This might only be for osx though, not sure. Maybe someone else can help us out out.

And not to nit pick but I beleive its Sandisk, not scan disk.

Enjoy your new computer. Many will be jealous.