Scandal at Mac support

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by Romain, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Romain macrumors member

I'm currently really pissed at Apple.
    I love their computer, they are great, but there Customer service SUCKS hard!

I bought some RAM form a third party reseller, and was more than happy to run 9.1.
    However because of my work I had to upgrade to OS 9.2, and then OS X, in order o beta test some new software. All worked fine for few days, and then no more RAM. My 256MB were not compatible any more.
    After doing some research I find out that by upgrading to 9.2, my firmware upgraded to a newer version. This new firmware disable third party RAM (Where was the warning!?!?!).
    I call technical support and they tell me reformat your hard drive, to all Zero and install 9.1 - All will be fine.
    So far I understand, they want people to use new RAM with OS X, fine!
    I reinstall OS 9.1 after reformatting my hard drive as they ask me to do, and still no RAM. I open the firmware, and see it's the new version.
    I call tech support back, and then they tell me you can't downgrade firmware.
    So because of Apple policy I lost the ability to use the third party RAM I bought and worked great before I run a Apple upgrade (virus), which didn't mention the fact it would disable third party ram, and would not allow downgradability.
    I then talk to customer service, and they told it was to bad for me, and I should of bought Apple RAM. I ask to talk to the manager but he never called me back!
    This is a scandal, and Apple should either send me some RAM, or replace my processor with the manufactory firmware in it!!

2. TMay macrumors 68000

call your RAM dealer for exchange...

This was a problem reported on most mac sites some months ago. Most RAM vendors will make good on RAM if you had this problem. See if the vendor will trade out your RAM for compatible RAM.

From the stories that were going around, Apple tightened up the RAM specs because they were spending too much time dealing with system software problems traceable to problem RAM.

Good luck!

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Beside that you spect too much if you want some one to call you back, the only thing is that they should warn you because of the memory. As the isue is not that bad for them you should keep trying. They wont give you memory for free, but if you talk to the manager and with a lot of patience talk and talk and talk as you were an old nany they may give you some good discount in some other memory.

The first thing you shoul do is this.

Write down the name of the person to who you spoke.

Write down the comment of the person (what she/he told you), with the day and hour.

Everytime you call back you are gonna tell them: I spoke to Mr.. and he told me this and Mrs... told me that, etc. so there wont be any excuses.

Once they can not come to anything new to avoid you ask for the Supervisor and write his name down again.

If the Supervisor doesn't work, call again and ask for another Supervisor and tell the story 10.000 tiems if is necessary.

I'm telling you this because **** heads are every where, even at Apple. They may treat you as a ocasional issue unless you show the you are not.

I do that over and over until it works, and it does 90% of the times. When I was in the US I called Roland (the keyboard factory) because I had a problem with some unit I bough a year ago, as they couldn't fix it they gave me another unit for $500 (it was $1100 at stores), but I have to be friendy, I didn't let them go and I gave them the option to negociate with me.

Doing that I made the power company to change the entire power cable system in my block a year ago.

Doing that I got Sarah Michelle Gellar phone number 3 years ago AND I CALLED HER AND TALKED TO HER FOR 8 MINUTES!!!!

You have to persist and negociate, as the arab people in NY.

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Re: call your RAM dealer for exchange...

That is another option, the RAM you bough is not Apple problem. That is why Apple didn't make any clones any more, the clones where giving problems. One video card work well in 5 of the 7 clones at one time and Apple lost market because of that.

Talk to the poeple that sold you the RAM and you may end up doing what I just told you.

5. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Don't exagerate so much, we believe you!!!

That sarah michelle gellar thing seemed a bit of BS to drive your point home, it's obvious that you get more response off people from being reasonable about a situation than screaming down the phone at them but that last bit made me laugh :D

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Don't blame Apple...

The memory you purchased from the third party is obviously inferior. That is one reason to only get good quality memory, from a reputable vendor. It was posted all over the internet about Apple tightening up the spec's on their memory.

I have encountered such memory at work, it is always from one memory maker, installed in a system that we purchased from one vendor. Whenever it is in a G4 system, and I update the firmware, that memory is not addressed. I solve the problem by taking memory from another system that has good memory and swap them. Luckily, I have done this with pretty much all of the systems that I need to. Since the firmware issue notification, we now purchase memory from two sources, one that is local (www.mohawkmem.com), and the other that is through corporate. We can return the memory to both places, but the local vendor is always easier.

When I purchased my 500MHz TiBook, I updated the firmware before installing additional memory. When everyone else was scrambling to get memory swapped out, mine ran no problem. It is still running in the TiBook that I am using to compose this.

All in all, I would recommend getting memory that is a name brand, not a generic. I also ALWAYS get 222 spec memory for my own systems, as well from Mohawk.

You buy quality, and you don't have to d*ck around with getting it replaced.

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

their service doesn't suck
    you just go crap ram

8. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

exactly....

9. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

apple has the best service compared to other companies
    it was on CNET so don't go there

10. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

there was a dimm check and tool around, early 2001 for that problem.
    a mac guru in new zealand wrote it. i had the same problem. updated the firmware and 128mb of third party ram gone. ran the dimm tool, it re spec-ed the ram to fit apples new specs.the ram was recognised and has worked since then. i still have a copy. any one need it just send an email. it is 48k and easy to use.

11. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

About Sarah Michelle Gellar

I meet Sarah Michelle Gellar in March of 1997 in Orlando FL, I didn't knew she was an actress at that time. We saw each other about 5 times that week, I thought she was one of those of "I want to be an actress" but she was nice any way. I had 3 weeks in the US by that time. Later on, I lost contact with her and 3 month later, I realize who she really was. In an environment where there is no much to do (Orlando FL) you can get a bit obsessed with things, so I had some kind of crush about here.
    During that month (we are talking about may) I had to do a project for a class I was taking (I was studying multimedia at www.fullsail.com), so I ended up doing an entire CD with some songs about her and the conversations we had. Her birthday was in April 4 so I decided to send her the CD as a present.

Some how, the sister of some guy of my class was the assistant of Josh Weddon (the general producer of Buffy The Vampire Slayer). After some talking back and forward, I ended up with talking with her again. We lost contact after that (to make a long story short)... but I did it! In addition, I was very lucky to know the right people.

I tried to do the same with Cameron Diaz but it didn't work.... hehehehe just kidding.

12. Romain thread starter macrumors member

For those who don't understand where I come form.

I'm pissed at Apple, because they purposely created a Firmware that would disable third party RAM, and then you can’t downgrade your firmware to go back when your 50$ of RAM worked.
    The RAM was working great before the Firmware was install.
    I finally talk to the customer service manager, and he said that it was regrettable, and apple was responsible.

Isn't Microsoft in court for that!?

My RAM was not **** it just the firmware that disable it!

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

No, the ram was substandard, and Apple set the bar just a little higher so that we could have MORE STABLE SYSTEMS!!

Stop b*tchin and deal with it!!!

14. Romain thread starter macrumors member

My system was already perfectly running, and stable under os 9.1.
    Apple makes the RAM with the same bus speed than third party.
    They are the same quality RAM, and would certainly run for as long if apple would of supported it.
    Apple made a business decision to not support third party RAM, so customer would have to spend 100$ for 256MB.
    Open your eyes you are being fooled.

15. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Romain, we have to face something here.

There should be a little line some where, where Apple is not responsible for 3rd party products (sorry about the spelling). So, if the memory didn't com with the Mac, Apple would no be responsible for it. That is what they are going to say.

For example: If you have your car (in this case a Ford) and it comes with the tires from factory (lets say Firestone). Ford is responsable for thouse tires because they have their standarts, we know some of them and we may do not know some others.

If you used Goodyear tires (even they fit perfectly) and your truck flip over, is not Ford fault. That they are responsible about warn you... may be but the company can not control every single 3rd party product out there.

That is why the PCs are so problematic, 3.000 types of memorys plus another 3.000 types of mother board, etc. Ant that is why Apple is not licencing clones any more, they gave problems because some of them miss the standarts.

Capish!

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Then explain why the third party RAM that I picked up (while it was still cheap other then at Apple) has been running perfectly under the new OS and latest firmware updates???? If you have crappy RAM, then contact the place you purchased it from and get them to replace it with memory that complies with the firmware.

Every reputable vendor that I have seen, has a policy in place to replace memory that no longer works (especially once Apple did the firmware update).

So take your own advise, and open your eyes. Apple is not the one to blame because you purchased cheap a$$ memory.

17. Romain thread starter macrumors member

I agree, if Apple want to make OS which ae not goign to work with third party product fine. but
    First they have to tell you that it wont work ( when you by software you do have minimum recuirment on the box, ans read me)
    Second the user should be free to go back to his old configuration, if he'd like.
    So far apple, screw you up by not telling you, and not letting you downgrade your firmware.

I will never by a PC by my own will, they are carp, and MAC are far supperior - to bad it is such a mone orienteted company that own the brand.

18. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I have NOTHING but 3rd party RAM

OS X seems to like it just fine. Of course, it's all 2-2-2 (one is actually a 133 as opposed to the 100's in the other 3 slots). I just did my research on which vendors don't cheap out.

Calm down and spend some cash on real RAM. You get what you pay for.

19. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: I have NOTHING but 3rd party RAM

BINGO!!!!

20. ebound macrumors member

You are all so technical about this. There WAS one easy way to do this.

Go download "DIMM First Aid" from versiontracker.com and run it before you upgrade your firmware. If your memory had a problem, DIMM First Aid would fix it and ready your memory for a firmware upgrade. But I guess it's too late now...

Also, crucial.com has some first-rate RAM!

21. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Before today, the last time I checked crucial's memory price (for Mac systems) they were way high. It looks like things have changed.

I have a standard practice, where I go local stores to get as much as possible. I do this mainly so that I have a live person to get with if/when good technology goes bad. The store where I purchase memory, among other things, I know the owner. This helps immensely when needing to return items (the few times that I have needed to). They also have a policy posted about replacing good memory gone bad... Within 30 days, can be returned for what you paid. After that, it is swapped with a good one for free. Not too bad.

22. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

that memory replacement policy is how I qualify vendors.

Last Year I was working for an excellent Silicon Valley Mac-Only retailer, they have a LIFETIME guarentee on RAM. Theirs isn't the cheapest, but it doesn't fail or go away with new firmware. Buying a component as essential as RAM from a Vendor that won't guarentee it's performance is just silly. All 3 of the vendors I use have similar (allthough not always lifetime) guarentees. BTW: if you're wondering who Apple employees buy from commonly:[url:http://www.macmall.com] is recommended by Apple IS&T.

23. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

sweeet deal

I just contacted the store that I buy memory from... They are taking the pair of 256MB chips that I have been using in my TiBook for almost a year now in trade towards new memory. I am upgrading to a pair of 512's for about $270.

Can't beat that with a stick!!!

I suppose it helps that I give them a lot of business (get all memory for home, work, and my side work from them).

I am bringing my TiBook with me, since the salesman that I deal with (usually at least once a week), has not seen one yet. Should be good fun.

:D

24. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

wait a minute:

Who are you doing business with and where are they? :D

25. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Re: Romain, we have to face something here.

Wasn't it some big scandal in South-America with Ford cars and Firestone tires... ? Though I saw something on 60 minutes a while back... Hmmm...