Scandal at Mac support

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Romain, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Romain macrumors member

Oct 17, 2001
    I'm currently really pissed at Apple.
    I love their computer, they are great, but there Customer service SUCKS hard!

I bought some RAM form a third party reseller, and was more than happy to run 9.1.
    However because of my work I had to upgrade to OS 9.2, and then OS X, in order o beta test some new software. All worked fine for few days, and then no more RAM. My 256MB were not compatible any more.
    After doing some research I find out that by upgrading to 9.2, my firmware upgraded to a newer version. This new firmware disable third party RAM (Where was the warning!?!?!).
    I call technical support and they tell me reformat your hard drive, to all Zero and install 9.1 - All will be fine.
    So far I understand, they want people to use new RAM with OS X, fine!
    I reinstall OS 9.1 after reformatting my hard drive as they ask me to do, and still no RAM. I open the firmware, and see it's the new version.
    I call tech support back, and then they tell me you can't downgrade firmware.
    So because of Apple policy I lost the ability to use the third party RAM I bought and worked great before I run a Apple upgrade (virus), which didn't mention the fact it would disable third party ram, and would not allow downgradability.
    I then talk to customer service, and they told it was to bad for me, and I should of bought Apple RAM. I ask to talk to the manager but he never called me back!
    This is a scandal, and Apple should either send me some RAM, or replace my processor with the manufactory firmware in it!!
  2. samy85114 macrumors regular

Dec 20, 2001
    this is surprising..

I've bought some RAM last years to put it in my PowerMac, that was a IBM-made Ram i guess... then, when os 9.2 had been released, i upgraded my mac with that system... and as far as i know, i have no problem at all till now. ANyway, I guess IBM ram is compatible with Mac computer... what knid of memory did you buy? what company? I was told they should be all compatible!
  3. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
  4. Romain thread starter macrumors member

Oct 17, 2001
    I'm pissed at Apple, because they purposely created a Firmware that would disable third party RAM, and then you can’t downgrade your firmware to go back when your 50$ of RAM worked.
    The RAM was working great before the Firmware was install.
    I finally talk to the customer service manager, and he said that it was regrettable, and apple was responsible.

Isn't Microsoft in court for that!?
  5. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
  6. Jookbox macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2002
    that's not the point. personally i think only an idiot would pay all that money for apple RAM (although now it's way cheaper). the point was, the firmware disabled his 3rd party RAM on purpose.

i think apple is a cool company, but people go to unusual lengths to defend it.