Scandal of force-fed prisoners

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 9, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

what's this about habeas corpus being suspended!??!

2. aquajet macrumors 68020

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What, you didn't notice the law Bush signed on the Friday before New Years? I wonder if that could have been by design...

Oh and by the way, you can at least partially thank Carl Levin for the law's passage (and the 'bipartisan' cover he gave the Bushies on this issue) despite his protests that the Bush administration promised him that the law would be used only in the future and that all current cases would be heard.

Of course, right after Bush signed the law, he asked to make it retroactive, thus breaking his word to Levin. Of course, for Levin to be expecting anything different was folly, and so he earns a fair share of the blame for jumping into the slime-pool with Bush.

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Prediction:
    1. Practice of force-feeding prisoners is suspended.
    2. New York Times reports: "Prisoners starved to death at Guantanamo Bay while guards looked on."

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Maybe they'll even be a story about why they starved themselves.

I'd do the same thing. It's the Irish in me.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

goddamnit my friends were right. "you'll regret it," they said. "but tomorrow's new years eve," i replied, "surely i'm not going to miss anything by not reading the taipei times today."

seriously, thanks for the link.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You forgot:

* Call whoever leaked the info a traitor. Sorry, I meant allude to them bing a traitor. And that it hurts America. Not the fact that the did it, but us admitting to doing it. It would be better if it was a secret. Then say we don't torture. But it depends on what the definition of torture is.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse.

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Me too,Terence McSweeny has always been a heroic figure to me he died just up the road in Brixton prison.

http://larkspirit.com/hungerstrikes/forgotten_strikes.html

By the way the Brit establishment are past masters at this force feeding business,google "the cat and mouse act" for more info.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, who would have thought that imprisoning people indefinitely with no charges could put you in a no-win situation? :cool: