ScanDisk... or something.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RobHague, Sep 28, 2005.

1. RobHague macrumors 6502

I was using my mac and the power went out (fuse blown somewhere in the house) for a few moments i was sure i could hear the innards of the powermac crackling with electricity before the power went 'pop' but i was playing WoW so it might just have been my speakers fooling me :D (the sound is quite nice, sometimes its hard to hear its coming from them and not somewhere else) but anyhow..

Power was reset, and i turned the system back on.. in Windows XP it would have poped up and run ScanDisk. What do i have in OSX to make sure no files were 'damaged' or currupted ect?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Go into Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and run a "Repair Permissions"
    reboot from the OSX CD/DVD (hold down the "C" key to get it to start from the CD, give it time to boot, and from the top menu, run Disk Utility "Repair Disk"

Then you're good.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

OS X does the same thing. In Unixland scandisk is called fsck (file system check). It's one of the things that happens while you're being shown the spinny wheel and progress bar. If your drives are set for journalling, there may be very little of that to do.