Scanner drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Ifeelbloated, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

Does anyone know when Epson's Perfection series scanners are going to run natively in OS X? Are there any scanners that have drivers for OS X?

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Epson is committed to supporting OS X with their products (at least the modern stuff, not ones released before OS X went public beta). Which scanner model do you have?? I am fairly certain that you can scan native in OS X with the OS X version of SilverScan (the same software bundled with the scanners). I have been seriously thinking about picking that up, so that I can scan native under OS X. I will probably pick it up after the next major update to OS X comes out.

BTW, I have the Perfection Photo 2450, and have to say it is one svelt scanner. :D Scanning either reflective images or negatives in one scanner at up to 2400x4800 dpi for $400 is a hellofadeal.

Check out this link for the latest versions of the SilverFast software updates... You can also check out their website here for more info.

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

UMAX

I've got an Astra 2200 Scanner. Is UMAX planning on supporting OS X, or should I just plan on having to buy a new scanner?

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: UMAX

I'd suggest checking with uMax as well as searching for alternate drivers just in case they are not going to update them for OS X.

We could see a bunch of scanner drivers included in the next major update to OS X (Jaguar).

I looked into getting another uMax scanner when I was in the market for one last year. They just didn't have anything that could even come close to the Epson scanner, in either resolution, or in Firewire, for the money. Epson's scanner beat all when it came to features for the dollar. I'd suggest checking out what Espon has to offer if you decide to get a new scanner.

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Scanner drivers

Something you might want to check out... Epson OS X scanning software. It looks like you can use that to select your scanner and scan within OS X. I will be giving it a shot later and will report back how well it works (or fails to work).

6. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Canon's newer scanners have OS X drivers, but last time I checked, they didn't work with GraphicConverter. They do, however, work with Photoshop 7.

7. Ifeelbloated thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks AlphaTech. I was considering the Perfection 2450 too but it's 400 dollars. It's one of the best scanners on the market but I want to get Photoshop 7 also, plus, I want to eat too. I might settle for the 1650 Photo scanner. As for drivers, I know it's not a matter of if but when, and I'm getting impatient. I might have to do a paper route on the side to get all this stuff.