Scanner for Panther???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zagato27, Nov 2, 2003.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

I'm looking for a scanner for my G5 1.6 with Panther. I had a Cannon FB620U that was nice but Cannon isn't supporting this under Mac so time for a new one. Looking for good resolution and USB 2 connect. Not sure if I'd need slide/negative scan ability. Any suggestions would be appreciated. THks

2. Macette macrumors 6502

I have an Epson 3200 Perfection photo scanner, and it's really fantastic. i had a scare for a minute when i installed Panther - the scanner wouldn't run, kept crashing everything - but it turned out to be a conflict with Image Capture. If you decidet to get this scanner, PM me and I will tell you how to stop the conflict.

3. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Re: Scanner for Panther???

I have the HP 7400C. Although I'm using it on a PC right now, all HP's come with software for macs as well.

Quality of the scans is excellent and mine has a legal sized scanning bed too. HP offers excellent customer support and updates their drivers as necessary. Just go to their site to see if they offer drivers for Panther already, and that will give you some idea of their commitment to their customers.

If you want a scanner specifically for scanning slides and photographs, then look for a flatbed scanner that has digital ICE built in. That will greatly improve damaged pics with a minimum of effort :)

Slides and negatives definitely need a separate purpose built scanner due to the fact that you will be enlarging the image considerably. Any defects in the initial scan, will be likewise exaggerated too.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I have the Canon LIDE 30. It's small, fairly fast, does good work, is inexpensive, and takes its power from the USB bus. I can't complain. The model up from this has USB 2.0 and is still (I believe) under $100. No slide/negative abilities, but if you've seen the results from scanners that do this you'll recognize it's no big loss.

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

LIDE 80

It's just great... and has that G5 look you would like to see on your desk...

6. RobVanDam macrumors member

7. towalu macrumors newbie

I use an Epson Perfection 3200, it's great, even for professional purposes. There are cheaper scanners though... as always, it all depends on what you need it for.

8. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Ok, let's forget about the ability to scan slides and negatives. Looking for USB 2 and Panther support and did I mention cheap/inexpensive????? How about resolution? I may be scanning pictures and docuements, what should I be looking for. THks

9. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27