Scanner not working through airport

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thewhitehart, Jul 16, 2006.

1. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I just bought a Canon MP150 all-in-one that I connected to my airport express to share. It is bonjour enabled. I installed the drivers for both the scanner and printer from the cd. All computers on the network, even the windows one, can print to it using bonjour, but for some reason, Image Capture won't recognize the scanner unless it is connected directly to the mac by usb. Is there anyway I can make it work through the airport express? Just to mention, the ibook can use the scanner's native TWAIN software as well as Image Capture because it is a PowerPC app, but the intel iMac will only use Image Capture. I guess the native TWAIN software won't run in Rosetta.

Another question: Both macs and the windows laptop immediately detected the printer through bonjour, but I still had to install the drivers. OS X wouldn't pick a driver for it. I thought all printer drivers automatically came with OS X. The printer is new - is it possible that you must install drivers for equipment that came out after Tiger? Even if bonjour detects the printer? I assume bonjour is a function built into some kind of firmware in the printer? How does it work?

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Um....

In response to your scanner inquiry, it just won't work. Don't know why, but I've never seen or heard of a scanner working via a wireless connection.

3. thewhitehart thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Ah... so it's a common across all scanners. That's disappointing. I mean, I'm obviously next to the scanner when I want to scan something, but all my computers are connected wirelessly, and it's pretty inconvenient to have to unplug the printer from the express and into the imac or ibook. Oh well :(

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

I completely agree. I wish I knew WHY it didn't work though. I'm betting it has something to do with bandwidth limitations of some sort (seeing as how higher end scanners use firewire) but I'm really not sure.

5. thewhitehart thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Very interesting... I hate not knowing the 'why' bit, that bugs me most of all. :)