Scanner reccomendations For OSX

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by markeleven, May 26, 2003.

1. markeleven macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2002
    Currently using a HP 4470C scanner in 9 and want to get to a scanner that can work decently in Os X and do transparencies . I'd love to hear about what is working for people since this HP piece of crap is never going to have a driver written for it that will work for OS X.
  2. nikfel macrumors member

Apr 11, 2003
    Take care about your choice I purhased a canon scanner 2 years ago. I was promised that an OS X driver was in the works......I AM STILL WAITING....may i say more!!
  3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2002
    I'm using a epson perfection 2400 in os X. It does great images and does them very fast. It also does transparences. The one touch buttons dont work in os X though, and it only has a twain driver. So i have to scan using photoshop elements 2. But overall i really like it.
  4. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2002
    Southern California
    I just bought a new Epson Perfection 3200 Photo and it works great for OSX. I was able to try it out at the Apple Store so I assume its the same at the other locations. It can do transparencies, comes with PhotoShop Elements 2.0, uses firewire or USB2, is INSANELY fast and costs $400. If thats too pricey check out the scanners on Apples Web Store, they all work in OSX.
  5. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    My Epson drivers are weak. I don't have an option to preview before I scan or do any color correction. I'm using the Perfection 1250 (purchased from the Apple Store in September, but no OS X drivers for five months - thanks for the warning, Apple).

My scanner works well with VueScan, but I shouldn't need that for the basic options I want. If better driver support is what you want, avoid this thing like the plague.

6. giffut macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2003
    Canon USB powered devices

I had (and still have) very good experiences with canon scanners. I am using a canon N1240U (2400x1200dpi, bus powered USB device). The problem is driver support. The actual drivers (CANOSCAN v7.0) are for photoshop use only, which is kind of stupid. But it works great with VUESCAN, a standalone scanning software, a must have (check versiontracker). It literally supports almost all scanners, inlcuding SCSI ones, within OSX.

Another solution would be, not to use the new OSX drivers from canon , but the CANOSCAN OSX BETA drivers (v.6.2) which came out one year ago and was backdrafted by canon a couple of days later. Because it gives you twain scanning support within GRAPHIC CONVERTER e.g. (another must have) or any other software which supports it. And I don´t know why they took it away, because it runs smooth and stable for quite some time now with me.

7. e-coli macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    Don't buy a microtek. They lie to their customers. There may never be OS X drivers for those stupid things. I finally went out and bought a new scanner. :rolleyes:
  8. gopher macrumors 65816

Mar 31, 2002
    Maryland, USA
    Microtek has normally been quite good in the Mac community. Did you actually try to contact support? Or are you just going based on what their website says?