scanner recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by saint, Dec 23, 2002.

1. saint macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy a scanner, just wondering what people recommend.
    It will mainly just be used for scanning text into OCR software, so I don't want to have to pay for features that aren't needed.

It will be used on an OS 9 computer with USB.
    Preferably something that is not complicated to use.

Anyone recommend a particular brand or model?

Cheers

2. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Although I don't know much about low-end scanners, since I'm a graphics professional, the least I can say is think scanning speed and scanning software which comes with the scanner.

For OCR, check their specs for black and white scanning speed.

Agfa scanners used to have the best scanning software bundled, but they've stopped making scanners recently. I'm not sure about what's best these days. I'm a user of high-end Epson scanners and their software seems to work pretty well... I personally do not like Canon software interface much.

In terms of the ease of use, Epson scanners have a hardware push button for a no-husstle software assisted scanning. But I guess other makers have similar features as well.

FYI: I'm an Epson kind of guy these days for printers and scanners!

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I would choose Canon for low end ( below $200) and Epson above that until you get to prices outside your budget.

Also, my parents have a Lexmark X83 all-in-one and that's awfully nice as it doesn't need the computer on to make colour copies. That model has been succeeded by the X85. The only trouble with this is the price of Lexmark ink.