Scanner Shopping!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ejb190, Sep 4, 2002.

1. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I am looking to get an iMac (probably after the next upgrade) so I can put my 266 Wallstreet to other uses. But along with the iMac, I would like to get a new scanner.

I am looking for reasonable image quality, ability to scan slides and negitives, and probably Firewire.

What should I be looking for? What should I avoid? Any suggestions?

2. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Wow! Firewire Huh? Lucky you!

Were you looking at a flatbed scanner that also has the ability to scan slides and negatives? In my opinion with a Microtek scanner of that type, the slide scanning adapter was a woeful underachiever... but then again it IS two years old. What I have and absolutely stand by is a CanoScan FS 2710; I use it with VueScan in OS X and my negs and slides scan accurately and with enough definition... and at 36 bit! It is SCSI, but I have no problems with it using an Adaptec card in a G4 500 running Jaguar. When i have to take it to work I use an Orange Firewire to SCSI adapter to use with my iBook. Also, I've replaced the old microtek with a Canon flat-bed and it also works through VueScan, since lazy-assed Canon has no OS X driver for it yet... but I ramble! You should also check out the Nikon line of Scanners.. I would have gotten the middle of the line film scanner if I could have afforded it! :)

3. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i have a epson 2450 photo scanner. i bought it becuase i wanted the same kind of scanner options you are looking for. it was also recommened by alpha tech. i love it. it does everything i need and some. its a good price for its capabilities. if your looking to buy a good scanner then go with this.... if you want to spend less at least stick with epson. my advice for what its worth.

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i also have the epson 2450.... works quite nicely. haven't done the slides/negatives thing yet, but for straight up scanning it's dang good

5. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

rockin jello. i am a witness to its versitility. i have done slides and negatives as well as photos. it all wet down well without a snag. however jello... you working in classic with it right? if not could you link me to the hook up to get it hopping in osx? also are you hooked up to it by way of usb or firewire?

6. Jbear macrumors member

I too have an epson, I believe it's the perfection 2500 or something. Worked great in os9. Would love to use it in X whenever Epson decides to get off their lazy... you get the picture. At any rate, I've had 2 epson scanners and liked them both.