Scanner Shopping

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MzFrazz, Nov 14, 2003.

1. MzFrazz macrumors newbie

I currently own a Microtek Scanmaker 4 and use Silverfast software with it. Does a nice job, but it is several years old and I am being tempted by new and exciting products. I do a lot of scanning for interior designers and dr. clients, that involves transparencies and slides in addition to the regular reflective art. The new Microtek 8700 pro looks good. Transparency scanning is supposed to be truer when done without the glass in the middle and Microtek does this. Anyone have any advice, experience, rumors....??? Most of the reviews I read are for low end scanners (like the $79 type). Not useful.

2. melbournegirl macrumors newbie

how did you go?!?

Hi,

I've been hunting around for some advice on this site for a while and see you posted a similar question to the one I have - I too am looking for a decent scanner, probably up to US$350, mainly for reflective art. Did you find what you were looking for - would you mind sharing?
    (I have an imac.)

cheers, Liz

3. Bhennies macrumors 6502

4. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I agree about the Epson. The current line of higher end Epson's are FAST, and the software is really simple. Scans look really nice too.

5. melbournegirl macrumors newbie

thanks, folks.

That unit is selling for over $700 here which is a bit pricey. I'm currently looking at the Canon LIDE 80 and the CanoScan 5000F, both around $350.

sorry, should have put a price range on my first post!

cheers.

6. melbournegirl macrumors newbie

hmmm, I am enjoying the review though! thanks.

7. JamesDPS macrumors regular

I've had nothing but good experience with Canon scanners (used to work with some in a big 'puter lab); in fact, when it comes to digital imaging of any kind, I've had nothing but good experience with Canon, I would definitely look at them first. But I'm not an expert in scanning, so just take this as a quarter-cent or something... definitely not 2.