Scanner suggestions.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by WinterMute, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I need a scanner that'll handle slides, is FireWire and isn't too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Am I right in thinking that transparencies and slides are the same thing?

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Scanner suggestions.

yes and no for the transparencies.

Som transparencies can be much larger than a 35mm neg.

So what's too expensive? And how much resolution do you want from you scans, wha are you going to do with them?

I'm waiting on some money myself and I'm going to buy a Nikon Coolscan 4000, very slick stuff, but might be a bit much for what you need. It all depends.

D

3. thread starter Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Re: Re: Scanner suggestions.

Most are standard 35mm slides, my dad has 1000's of slides which mum wants to look at and archive, dad was a real keen photographer most of his life, and there's tons of stuff, family, events, nature, people etc.

I want to scan them and put them on some CD's for mum.

Resolution doesn't have to be amazing, but they need to look good on a monitor and if printed onto standard photo prints. 600x600 non-interpolated, how's that sound?

I'm not looking to spend more than £150-200 ($240-$320)

Thanks D.:)

4. thread starter Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Just a note, I need a combination flatbed and slide scanner, the coolscan looks great, but only for slides obviously, most of the time I'll be scanning images not slides.

Thanks.

5. acj
    macrumors 6502

Epson perfection 2450 or similar

These can be had for your price range, or the next model up which is a little newer. They do a very fine job with slides, bigger transparancies, and flat stuff.

Mr. Anderson: I have two of the nikon 4000's. They're OK. Maybe the best for the price but still have problems with corner sharpness and sometimes the digital ICE wrecks the image. When it works (97% of the time), ICE is a major time saver. Hate to say it, but it scans faster on our PC... 5,000 scans and speed really matters.

Oh, and cover it whenever you are not using it!!! un-cleanable dust will settle on the optics and cause hazy scans.

Cheers,

Andrew

6. macrumors 68030

medea

I'd recommend the epson perfection as well, get the best one you can afford.

7. thread starter Moderator emeritus

WinterMute