scanner....

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by krossfyter, Aug 9, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

im going to have to buy a scanner pretty soon here. which one do you all recomend?? i will be using slides and photos. is the umax scanner that scans slides also ...any good? im looking in the price range of 80 to 350. also... what firewire zipdrive do you all recommend??

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm looking forward to getting an Epson Photo 2400 Scanner. That should be just in your price range.

Not to kiss up to anyone, but I have seen several recommendations for Epson Scanners. I think those guys are at the top of their league.

If you want Firewire support, however, you will have to spend $400 on the Epson 2450.

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I may be making this same move sometime soon. All of the scans I've made for www.thefotohaus.com have left me with a ton of images to retouch, but now I'm backlogged for 3 rolls worth of scans since I do not have access to a decent scanner anymore. I was using a friend's scanner (Canon 4000, $1k), but now she's moved & alas...no more scanner.

It's because of this reason specifically that I'm going to join the digital revolution most likely in October...with the influence, of course, of Moxiemike...he he he ;)

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The Epson 2450 is $399 and scans at 2400x4800 maximum optical resolution and has a 4x9 in. transparency adapter as well as a FireWire interface.

UMAX has nothing for consumers using Mac OS X at the moment, which says to me that they don't want future Mac OS business. I have an UMAX Astra 1200S and don't want to give up my 8.5x14 scan area but I can't use it in Mac OS X.

5. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

alright guys thanks for the recommendations. sounds like i will be going with that 400 buck Epson scanner. Yeah im down with Epson... ive had nothing but good times with thier printers. I took a lexmark back to get an Epson... cause the Lexmark in my opinion was crap. So Epson it is. Rock it.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

UMAX USA has abandoned the low-end Apple market, and they've also instituted a paid support model.

So every time they upgrade a driver you'll need to buy a new CD to get it, but that only works if it's one of the select high-end scanners they've chosen to support.