Scanners, iPhoto, and 10.2

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pismo, May 17, 2002.

1. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I've been thinking. After noticing my UMAX Astra 1600U scanner with an inch of dust on it (piece of crap scanner), I was wondering if there will be built in drivers for scanners in 10.2. They have built in drivers for digital cameras for iPhoto so why not do the same thing for scanners? I doubt like hell UMAX will come out with their own drivers for OS X.

Would it be cool if we could scan directly into iPhoto to edit all of out pictures or would Apple make a new iApp altogether (iScan or something like that)?

2. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

i think that this is a feature implemented into "image capture" for os 10.2...

i may be wrong... :eek:

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Epson released software to allow people with their scanners to scan in OS X. I have one such scanner (perfection 2450 photo) and fully intend to give it a shot soon. It is a free download from their web site.

4. Choppaface macrumors 65816

how bout something for all those with scanners that use TWAIN (like me)?

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Thats what apple need....Twain support
    It still putting people in OS 9.... and I wish my printer worked in OS X
    cause booting in OS 9 sucks

6. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

7. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I wish HP would get some drivers out for my Scanjet 5300C! It really annoys me that they have not done so.

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I wanna say whfsdude
    you will get flamed for post like that.....I know because I used to
    just a friendly warning

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i wouldn't flame him for that. he's putting forth his own feelings towards a particular item that the thread is talking about... sometimes a one liner is ok in my mind, as long as it says something..

other people have done much worse. and it may be better than him talking about his man-tits again... ha

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

Oh, dear Pete. I was not able to watch HBO for six nights onward after trying to imagine that! :)

And Apple really should try to add support for scanners, printers, etc. Even if it means Apple ships Jaguar as a two CD collection, one for the main software and the other for third party support, I will still support it entirely. Just as long as Apple starts getting support drivers for certain third-party hardware.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

It's not all Apple's doing, or not doing. The companies that make the hardware, and the drivers, need to make them for OS X for the older hardware. I have found that pretty much anything created (hardware) from when the public beta of OS X was released (and forward) has drivers for OS X, or someone else has created them. I would rather see Apple devote those resources to getting Jaguar out on time then make drivers for some obscure piece of hardware that a few people might have.

Hound the hardware maker, but don't b*th to Apple when the maker doesn't produce drivers like you want. Remember, it wasn't Adobe that made specific plug-ins for scanners (if the Twain didn't work for you), it was the maker of the scanner that did.

Printers are pretty much in the same boat... the company that created the printer, needs to produce a driver for OS X.

12. King Cobra macrumors 603

Well, yeah, it probably is the third-party's fault for not supplying the software, but didn't Apple provide OS X with some drivers, such as for many Epson printers, then iPhoto with a whole list of cameras? My point is that Apple should keep doing this.

And, yes, I would primarily blame those who simply fail to lack support for OS X. I feel that those guys have two (2) options:
    Support OS X.
    Support Windows....
    Besides, what is the point in supporting OS 9 if they create new drivers that may require a higher operating system than what an older Mac can handle? Or why support OS 9 when you have guys switching directly to OS X (either from OS 9 or from Winblows)?

If you guys thought that in my previous post I was blaming Apple, I was not. I simply wanted to see Apple continue to improve driver support in case certain third-party dipsh!ts don't.

Any time is a great time for iPod.