Scanners

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by flyguy451, May 4, 2005.

1. flyguy451 macrumors regular

I'm looking for recommendations for a home scanner. Primary use will be for documents, secondary use is photos. I'll be connecting it to my 12" 1.5 PB. I'm on a bit of a mission to clean out the paperwork jungle in my filing cabinet. I plan to scan all those semi-important papers and store them electronically on my machine and also to sync to my .mac account. I'm more interested in the scanner being quick and easy to use than in generating photo quality scans. Any advise would be appreciated.

2. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Allow me to suggest one of the numerous All-in-one scanners. I have an Epson CX5200 that creates high quality scans. The nice thing is that it can be used as a copier and a good quality printer as well.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't have any specific suggestions, but there is a slightly lower margin of OS headaches if you use this shopping list.

4. flyguy451 thread starter macrumors regular

mkrishnan:

Thanks for the list. I've on Tiger now but it's probably safe to assume that anything that would work in 10.3 will also work in 10.4.

5. flyguy451 thread starter macrumors regular

I've tossed that idea around too but I already have a recent printer and fax/copier. A friend pointed out that the downside to an all-in-one is that if it goes down it takes the whole desk down with it. By this I mean that with separate devices at least you could continue to do some work if one machine was not functioning.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm on Tiger, too...oddly, they updated the style sheet that drives that page to the Tiger look but not all the text. I would say, though, that yes, this list is definitely going to work properly in Tiger's ICA, and there are probably others that are not yet on the list. One big advantage of ICA is that, like iPhoto/ICA supported cameras, I believe that you do not have to install any software or do any setup to use an ICA scanner -- just plug it in and run ICA. :D

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*does an impression of the guard in The Matrix, when Neo sets off the metal detector and reveals all the guns under his trenchcoat* Oh, @%$#! :D

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Seriously, though, I've always had good luck with Canon scanners...but that's just me. Take it for the .02 it's worth. ;)

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Too bad Nikon isn't in the scanner market, or you could really set this thread on fire. :p ;) :D

I don't really need a scanner -- but I would make use of one for similar purposes (document archival) if I had one. It's frustrating that none of those $50 scanners that every windows user and their sister have hanging around are often not compatible with Macs (esp. the really cheap umax and visoneer ones) but its probably ultimately a good thing for the platform. If one of those worked, I would just borrow it from someone for a couple of weeks and be done with it.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Ain't that the truth?

11. flyguy451 thread starter macrumors regular

12. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

I'd avoid umax - never had them, but they don't support osx* on their old scanners, and all my users im migrading to OSX from 9 are S.O.L. I will never buy their products because of that, left a bad taste in my mouth.

*Yes, i know there ARE drivers out there made my the open source community, but why can't they support the product they sell?

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

What some have missed is the need for document scanning. I might suggest looking at the Epson RX500 or RX600 all-one-units. Otherwise the the Epson 4870 or 4990 might be nice. I am using the CX6400 for my "main" scanner (meaning that I don;t scan negatives with it). It is a great printer/scanner combo. It has been replaced by the CX6600.