Scared mac users

Discussion in 'Community' started by mac15, May 10, 2003.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Why do people crap themselves M$ show off something new. Since the videos hit the web about M$ new version of windows XP: Longhorn, I've heard and seen nothing but winging stories about people wanting to buy PCs. But why?

Lets settle this once and for all. This is what M$ is about to release in the year 2005, 2 years from now. For all we know Apple (I'm sure they have something better) are developing something better. Making OS X.5 for all we know, with amazing speed and overall coolness to blow anthing M$ will ever have. But due to apples secretness and security we will be left wondering.

It really annoys me how people get scared and go looking for new PCs, because suddenly the mac they own now won't compete against the PC from the future.

Its time to just sit back and enjoy what you have now and still realise Windows users are still left with a pathetic OS in XP. Sit back and enjoy the flashiness of Jaguar with all its zooms and super cool things. Enjoy it damn it!

2. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

I agree completly with you! Nothing but nothing can compare with Mac OS X or the Apple's innovation progress. They might have a low market share, but they sure innovate and with that, they push the human race forward ( i had to say that! hehehehe )

3. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Am I the only one who doesn't want stuff zooming and rippling all over? :confused:

OS X overall finally has a GUI on par with 9 I think. Some parts are great (like the dock), but list views are still clunkier in X sort of, and.. well.. I'm sure panther will clean up the rest of the issues.

I just wish you could change a file extension without having to go into get info... a little too dumbed down there Steve, sorry. Any haxies to fix that?

4. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

OS 9 is still very very fast though, i love using it once in a while.
    as for the .ext you can change the name without going into "get info", i do all the time. maybe you have to have it showing though...

5. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I have a very tech savvy client who bouces ideas off me from time to time. He was the person that moved his office off Macintosh in the mid '90's.

I met with him Thursday and he is currently at a crossroads right now on where to pursue technology. He wants a tablet PC, but I talked him out of version one. (Because everything I read said it sucked and wait for version 2) He was playing with a beta M$ app on his computer that would eventually be on a tablet. As he put it, "the thing is barely functional. It is a typical M$ first generation app. Let us buy it and they will release a good version a year and a half from now." I think he is right. I am never impressed with new versions of Windows. They usually are what the version before was touted as. So the next version will have working features that XP was supposed to have...

(By the way the meeting then went to half an hour of what Mac he should buy. In his words, "I want to put the joy back into computers." I doubt his office will every switch back, but if he is impressed with his Mac it might be a possibility.)

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its all about the hype - Apple doesn't play that type of marketing game - not sure why exactly, but the secret way is what they've always used.

MS on the other hand is constantly having to show everyone that they're not going to be left behind. Remember OSX was planned for release a year or more before it actually came out (Jobs demo'd it in 99 I think) and even then we only got a beta version for 6 months before it went live.

So MS is letting everyone know that they have something 'cool' as well. It won't be ready anytime soon, but that doesn't matter.

If Apple were to show us what they're planning in the OS in two years, we'd all be screaming for it now.

D

7. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Scared mac users

i agree with everything but the pathetic OS part. XP is extremely stable, much like OS X. I have no idea where you get pathetic but I smell something, maybe a zealot? :( And dont give me that crap like "ooo i cant navigate it" well neither can native pc users navigate OS X. its the epitome of two governments trying to have a meeting when neither speaks the other's language.

8. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

The reason Microsoft and Apple market themselves so differently is that Microsoft is the "standard" and Apple is the scrappy innovator. Apple has to protect its ideas or they'll be assimilated into the next version of Windows that much more quickly. Microsoft, on the other hand, announces things a couple years ahead of time to let everyone know "hey, this is the new standard."

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

thank god i use an ibook then, because the standard for me is what apple puts in their os

i have liked every mac os except for os 8.1 and the beta os x

as for windows, xp isn't bad and a sure improvement over windows 2000 and windows me in looks...funtionality wise, mac os is so far ahead of windows but time will fix windows and make it just as stable as mac os...but never as pretty

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Standard psychosoft vapourware bullsh*t.

They have to try and convince as many people to stay with windoze by always promising "Jam tommorrow". Your average PC user will think, "oh, I'll wait for two years cos that's going to be cool", thus ensuring their loyalty.

It's standard buisness tactics, we are Apple's vapourware department, what they don't tell us we simply invent:D

OSX is definately jam today...;)

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Does anyone know if Windows has a lower percentage using its latest version as compared with Apple? It seems like alot of Windows users don't bother to upgrade, not really a compelling reason!

12. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Basically, i don't think we'll see any major releases from M$ until we've seen some major apple ones. Take all the similarities between XP and OS X - some of them are so blatant:

Windows Movie Maker - iMovie [new to xp]
    Windows Photo Editor: iPhoto [new to xp]
    Windows Media Player: iTunes [ok, wmp is nothing new, but v8/9 is so trying to be like iTunes but they don't even come close to pulling it off!]
    ...countless GUI similarities, including the new approach to icons ('tiles')

All of the above dont even come close to OSX's efforts!

Someone's sig (can't remember who's) says:

"To see the pc's of tomorrow, look at todays apple macs"

... and to be honest, that couldn't be more true. Apple seem to set the the standard, and M$ attempt to hit it. I'd be very surprised if they attempted to take the initiative as, to be frank, they haven't done yet.

13. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

[edit: didn't the 'trash' appear in OS7/8 in 1993, then the 'recycle bin' on win95 followed soon after??]

14. guitargeek macrumors regular

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That's a major problem for a monopoly, difficult to make changes like a small lean company. They don't really have a need to innovate, what else are people going to buy. Compatability is an issue for business or at least they think that is the case. They have the benefit of being to copy a leader like Apple. But they will certainly wake up one day and no longer be the leader. I think and pray that Steve is throwing the 1st volley across the Microsoft bow in June!