Scariest Movie

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ja Di ksw, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Ok, so what does everyone think the scariest movie out there is? I'm not talking about the movies that scared the hell out of you years ago but if you saw now you'd just laugh, I mean the ones that are still scarey today (old does not mean not scarey, though. Old movies can be just as freaky as new ones)

2. macka macrumors regular

All the scary western movies are nothing compared to the Asian ones. Although the director's cut of The Exorcist was definitely disturbing. Don't wanna be watching that again anytime soon.

The scariest movie of all time: The Japanese version of The Ring - Ringu

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i saw a trailer for the Exorcist Directors Cut, i know that i definitely am not in a rush to see that one...

i've seen Ringu as well. that was definitely creepy, kind of even creepier because it's a bit old, the techniques they use for the 'special effects' probably only help add to the atmosfear. [​IMG]

still it didn't really make me sit up in my seat, or maybe i'm confusing it with the Ring, which was still pretty good, but it was better watching the 'orginal'.

actually, does anyone know any movies that are still scary after you've watched them once? i think that's a very rare thing these days... but i'd like to know so i can go and scare myself. :eek: :D

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Alien was the scariest movie I've ever seen in a cinema, I was 16 when it came out, and I've never seen so many people leave a cinema before the end of a film cos they were so scared.

I think we've seen all the truly scary films now, we're used to it, Ringu was excellent, but didn't scare me, we become hardened to it.

the most disturbing film I've seen was Eraserhead, I had bad dreams for weeks after that...

5. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Aye...good old "The Ring (US)" and Ringu...how bout watch both of them in a row? haha.

If you can get a group of friends together, the reactions (including your own) are priceless--one of my friends couldn't stand it and jumped off the couch, clenching his fists making a "EEEEEE" sound hahaha.

Anyway, its a good experience :)

Watch some low budget asian ghost films--I wish they were on electronic media, but you probably gonna find some freaky ones only on VHS...

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

that reminds me, i meant to go and see Alien: Directors Cut when it was re-released to cinemas... but i think i've missed it now. :( that would have been just awesome to see on the big screen. :D that was also one of the first scary movies i saw... i think i was about 12. :eek: actually it's still kinda creepy whenever i watch a Alien movie. even Resurrection still had a creepy feel to it... Giger did a really good job designing the aliens. i really love his work...

oh, a guy at college was telling me the other day about a movie called 'Brotherhood of the Wolf'. it's supposed to be really scary, you dont' really get a good look at the 'monster' and we all know that's supposed to be really scary. it's got a trailer on Apple.com/quicktime, but that doesn't really look scary, but my friend assured me it's scary. that's another one i haven't seen yet, but it's on the to-do list as well. :D

off the subject of scary movies: anyone seen Equilibrium? i just got that, saw the first couple of scenes, very cool movie. check it out if you get a chance.

7. iGav macrumors G3

'The Exorcist' is still defo up there... ;)

The trouble with alot of modern horror films is that rely far to greatly on CGI 'Ghosts', leaving little if anything to the imagination. Look at the remakes of 'The Haunting' and 'House On Haunted Hill', the former is a spectacular looking film set in the amazingly atmospheric Harlaxton Manor in Nottinghamshire but the suspense of the original film has been replaced by too many CGI shots. The later film suffers a similar fate... :rolleyes:

I prefer more cerebral scares, films that leave it up to the viewer to use their imagination... it's far more scary imagining the evil that lurks. ;)

I thought 'Session 9' was an incredibly creepy film, a beautiful juxtaposition of atmospheric Kubrick sweeping shots, and a traditional visual narrative as opposed to going for the cheap thrills, and wham bam thank-you mam CGI shots.

I'm also a sucker for Arthur Askeys 'Ghost Train'.... :D

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Exorcist was definitely not scary, nor was Alien and I don't even think Brotherhood of the Wolf is supposed to be a scary movie. I like Alien, though, just for the atmosphere. The Ring kind of creeped me out, though, I must admit. I just wish it still had that effect on me.

9. macka macrumors regular

I agree. It wasn't scary, it was ****ing disturbing. :eek:. I couldn't sleep properly for days after watching that.

Pbook if not the above, then what movie DID you find scary?

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

When I was maybe 7 I watched Arachnaphobia with my dad and it scared the **** out of me. That scene where the spider crawled up the guy's leg while he was sleeping and bit him made it so I couldn't sleep in bed with my legs under the covers for months and all during the day at school I'd see spiders crawling around. Funny thing is, I never had a fear of spiders and still don't and once watching it when I was older, I realized just how cheesy the movie really is.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I find most films that are intended to be scary are actually funny because they are so absurd... to me the scariest film would have to be about something that is truly disturbing and could actually happen to you. I would find a movie like Cape Fear or something similar as far more disturbing than something with just great special effects.

12. IMAGJE, Apr 20, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

IMAGJE macrumors newbie

13. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Come on guys, what about Poltergeist? Classic and still scary.

The Ring - Good.

Ringu - Retarded. Come on guys, this movie was mega lame. Super powers? Duh.

Fallen - Really creeped me out. If you haven't seen it, do so.

Oh and we can't forget the scariest movie of all time.

P-Worm

P.S. To cb911 - I too enjoyed Equilibrium. Very cool action sequences. It was a blatant ripoff of the Matrix, but I got passed that.

14. Nny macrumors regular

Nny

scariest movie

In The Mouth of Madness
    best tagline ever: "Lived Any Good Books Lately?"

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Where's the love for Hitch?

Poltergeist scared the crap out of me when I saw it as a preteen. To this day I'm still scared of clowns because of, you know, that scene in the movie.

Do suspenseful movies count? That is, movies that are scary but aren't traditional "horror" movies? I'm wondering why none of the Hitchcock movies have been mentioned, or "Wait Until Dark", for example.

16. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    man i never figured someone besides me would say it but this is probably my favorite horror movie ever. Sam Neil is awesome and this movie just creeps me out... i love it! too many horror movies try to freak you out with blood and guys (not to say i don't love blood and guts :D ) but In The Mouth of Madness is all about atmosphere and just general strangeness to creep you out.

i highly recommend you give it a view.

17. whookam macrumors member

The Ring (Original) - Pretty Creepy

The Audition - Stange and Freaky

Poltergeist - Scared me as a kid, even the later ones were kind of scary!

The Shining - Saw this one far too young

Event Horizon - Disturbing in parts

Nightmare on Elm St. - Not THAT scary but reminds me of watching it when I was pretty young.

Now Twin Peaks messed me up a little.

Anyone seen 'I bought a Vampire Motorcycle'?

Whookam

18. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Yeah, on the entire Aliens series--I don't find it as scary anymore ever since I had to study it for a class. Yes, it is overall classified in the "horror" film genre, but I find them to be very entertaining in the action sense (especially from the 2nd on and up).

And someone finally mentioned Event Horizon--damnit, I forgot that Latin phrase he keeps on repeating ;)

And the Shining is nice if you pause it during the scene in the hallway "Come play with us" (dead girl images flash)...hehe pretty entertaining stuff.

I think Event Horizon to me is probably one of the more scary movies from a psychological standpoint.

19. ecche macrumors regular

... haven't you guys seen "Rosemary's Baby"? It still scares me plenty and my wife even refuses to watch it again.

20. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Poltergeist was probably the most scary for me when i saw it... but im not a big fan of scary/horror movies.

The Eye is really creepy though, especially if you're in an elevator and you feel that tingling in the back of your neck... :)

Audition was scary when the bag-man jumped.. everything else made my ankles tingle.

21. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i love The Shining, both the original and the newer Stephan King version.

Jack Nicholson(sp?) is amazing and truely frightening in the original but the Stephan King version has a much creepier atmosphere.

22. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I'd say the most disturbing film was Blues Brothers 2000 ;)

I find horror genre movies are pretty dismal most of the time as I don't seem to be able to suspend my disbelief for the short attention spans the plots require. Suggestive thrillers I find lifts my neck hair more.

Saying that The Ring (Japanese version) was good.

23. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Ooh, I thought of another one.

What Lies Beneath. I thought that this was one of the better done scary movies. It was very Hitchcock in it's approach leaving a lot of it to the viewer's own imagination.

P-Worm

24. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

The thing that is amazing about What Lies Beneath is early on they rely on a cheap scare with the ghost being reflected in the bathtub.... thats not where they get you though. After that scare, they make SURE to fill the house with as many reflective objects as they can find... and make sure to focus on them with the camera... but don't show the ghost. I'm not kidding, watch the movie and see how many times the camera focuses on a reflective object.

Definately Hitchock.

25. walkerboh4269 macrumors newbie

walkerboh4269

my scariest movies

Would have to be Night of the Living Dead,Dawn Of the Dead, and Day of the Dead.

I enjoyed the remakes of both Night and Dawn but the were not as scarey as the originals.

Some people will say that these movies are just cheesey and not scarey at all. I on the other had get scared even today if I watch these movies in the dark. Even having watched them about 100 times each I still get creeped out.

I would also like to make metion of a movie called I, Zombie. It is a indie film from the U.K. that is shot like a documentary. I had trouble watching all the way through, I had to turn it off once and come back to it later. By far it has one of the most shocking self-love scenes ever put to film. :eek: