Scars

Discussion in 'Community' started by pseudobrit, Mar 28, 2004.

1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

['jaws' time]
    Anyone have any cool scars?

I took a stick (the blade of a SyNergy Grip, to be precise) in the face tonight and eight stitches under my nose and across my cheek. I left about a pint of blood on the ice. It was deep as hell and will likely leave a nice scar after it's healed.

I also have a knife wound scar in my left palm. It severed the nerve so I had it microsurgically repaired, which added two more cuts on the scar. It looks eerily like a lightning bolt from the SS insignia.

What about you folks? Got any cool scars?

2. macka macrumors regular

Sure do. My other (not so signficant) half knocked his bike into mine.
    I crashed into a window and I am now the proud owner of an inch long scar on the outer edge of my right hand.

Of course I took revenge. He became the (not so proud) owner of an ugly scar on the knee from a really deep graze about two weeks later.

This all happened when we were 10 years old. :cool:

3. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Hmmm - two dog bites to the right hand and wrist (when I was in my teens), and an operation to my left wrist (about the same time) left me with what looks like a suicide attempt!!!

Also, I nearly got the top of my right middle finger cut off (hung by a thread) when I was 4, and I put my hand in the way of a shovel coming down...

I've also a row of scoremarks between my right thumb and forefinger when I was sawing a piece of wood. I was busily engaged in a conversation with someone at the time - until he pointed out what I was doing, and noticed the blood spraying everywhere...

Once I was ankle-tapped whilst ice skating, and was sprawled face-down on the ice. But to add injury to insult (!), the jerk then proceeded to run over my left index finger. Lots of blood, and a nice scar. They had to close the rink for a bit to clean up the aftermath. Isn't it cool how ice makes the mess look like a slaughterhouse? :p

I've a nice scar on my left arm from an African Blister Beetle whilst I was in Zimbabwe a few years back - it vomits acid all over its victim to aid in digestion. I was a little too big to eat, but it gave it a go anyway.

That's all I can think of - apart from the two little scars either side of my left knee after the Arthroscopy operation.

Well? Whad'ya EXPECT after 34 years of existence? Bubble-boy?!?

:D

4. macka macrumors regular

Man....kiwi you deserve an award.

"Most accident-prone man" or something.

Gotta love the avatar, I think it puts [your horrendous experiences with saws and beetles] nicely for you in a much more visual way. :D

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

only a few small, unnoticable ones like,cuts on hands but i have to look closely myself

i bite my tongue once which had to be treated in hospital
    and once i fell down and had a wound on my forehead with blood running all over me

but no scars
    i never had broken any body from my body i guess i'm lucky hehe
    but bloody knees as a child sometimes were normal i guess

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I have a small scar on my forehead from being hit with a Newcastle Brown Ale bottle at a party, it used to be hidden, but I'm getting old and bald.... :p

I have a small puncture scar just above my right kidney where a girlfriend stabbed me with a pair of long-handled nail scissors.... loooong story..... don't ask :D

I also have some scarring on my right knee from kneecap splitting contact with a chair in a recording studio.

Anyone want to hear about my mates infected vasectomy scar?

Didn't think so.... :eek:

7. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Well - on a BRIGHTER note, it wouldn't really matter that much if the two veg. started falling off the guy...

Imagine down the pub:

"Hey - wanna see the scar? It sticks out like dog's balls... LITERALLY."

Ewwww!

8. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Let's see... I've got a couple, most of them injury-related, though surprisingly not brought on by my six years of contact sports.

On my left knee, just above the patella, I've got a row of four gouges that came from the gearplate of a bike I was hauling out of the back of a car. I was wearing shorts, and it swung down and cut me before I could do much about it. The cuts bled pretty freely, and are still visisble about ten years after the fact.

I've got a surgery scar at the base of my spine, from the removal of a pylonidal cyst. They had to cut a lump of flesh the size of a golf ball out of my back to be sure they got it all, and the skin's a little puckered and still has scars from the stitches they had to use to hold it together.

There's one below my lip, from when I faceplanted into a sandbar while bodysurfing. My upper tooth went through the skin. It's mostly covered by facial hair, these days.

My right knee has three small scars in a radial arrangement, the leftovers of a bout of arthroscopic surgery for a torn MCL. Funnily, it's not from my weightlifting days, though it was discovered because of them. I had a car accident, and two weeks later, I had the knee go out from under me while doing squats with more weight than most people max (I used to work out with about 350 pound bards). Luckily, my partner caught me enough to slam the bar into the rack. A week of consulation, two MRIs, lots of prodding, and some other hassle later, a surgeon decides it's best to go ahead and look around inside, and that's how they found the tear.

My right nipple has two near it, but those are boring. Just moles I had taken off. :D

9. rjrufo macrumors regular

Ok, strange topic, but I'll contribute my part.

I have a few scars on my face from a bike accident, and four false teeth because of it.

I have a stab wound scar to my left hand from being stupid, I was cutting something and had my hand in the way. The knife went clean through.

I have various scars on my elbows and knees from when I was a kid.

And, I have a scar on my abdomen from being shot by a BB gun back in high school.

I think kiwi should get an award for the most exotic cause for a scar... :)

10. Dr. Zauis macrumors member

I have a scar on my right ankle from a dog bite when a was 8. It looks almost exactly like the Nike logo.

11. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I have one scar in the middle of my left hand from where a pen penetrated it (no real damage, thankfully)
    A scar over my right eye where I had seven stiches from an iron gate knocking me out.
    Two scars on my right hand from a car door (middle finger) and a over-powered break in a game of billiards.
    And my ankles look like they've gone through a garbage disposal once or twice from five years of skateboarding.

Chicks dig scars, powerbooks and puppies... all of which I carry around on a regular basis. :D

12. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I've got 2 main ones;

- One on my arm from lifting a cut-up metal bath, it went through me like a hot knife through butter. As it's quite large (it pushed open and got infected while healing) I'm going to try and convince my doctor to put me forward for scar revision. *crosses fingers*

- One on my knee where my friend thought it was "funny" to knock me off my bike, in the process smashing my knee open. 8 years later it still hurts on cold mornings :)

And lots of little ones, fag burns (from other people), cuts, nicks, the usual you get from having pets and lads running around all day every day, usually drunk or hyper.

AppleMatt

edit: I forgot, a thin one around my eye. But that was because I was the complete idiot running around hyper trying to hit my friend with a piece of wood. He ran through the door and I followed but unfortunately the stick was wider than the door frame so instead I just went *WHACK* into the stick and a staple sticking out of it cut around the side and bottom of my eye, which to be fair was quite lucky.

13. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    After being savagely attacked by a sharp edge of an opened can of corned beef, I received a slight nic on middle finger of my right hand.

14. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I puched a wine glass as a kid, trying to do kung fu moves. it shattered into my hand. It looks like a small walking stick in the palm of my hand

15. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

pseudobrit, that's no good. sorry to hear about that. if it's on your face alot, you really should try to leave as little scaring as possible. get the doctors to do a good job on you and leave it as smooth as possible. otherwise it'll be a bitch to shave. :p

i've got a few scars on my shins... BMX accidents. one on my shoulder from riding along and a woman opening her car door on me. also got a nice big 4cmx1.5cm scar on my elbow from that one... one about 3cm long on my forehead from when i fell on a rock at 3 years of age. nasty scars on my hip from coming off my pushy while riding down hills. also big scar on my right knee from falling stacking my pushy as well.

and that's only on a BMX, and i'm getting a motorbike as soon as i can afford it. :eek: :D

16. vniow macrumors G4

I've got one on my left wrist where my cousin accidentally burned me with a hot pan when we were baking french fries.

I also had one on my left eye (I think) when I was in middle school or so that went vertically from above my eyebrow to below my lower eyelid, it would have looked really cool if it turned into a real scar, too bad it healed up, bah.

17. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

BUT WAIT!!! THERE'S MORE...

(Talking of interesting injuries)

I SHOULD add that I have a small scar around my left eye, and also scar tissue on my left cornea - some kid brought in an air rifle to school when I was 7 for show-and-tell (unheard of, now!!), and cocked it (no pellet), firing it at point-blank range into my eye...

I can remember it well:
    I'm sitting on top of my desk, chatting to some other kids, and I hear - "Hey - look at THIS...". I turn, and see the gun... <BANG!>

Charming. I ALSO remember (a few years later) kicking the crap out of the little bastard, for that and a few other nasties he'd performed on myself and my friends.

Ain't poetic justice cool?!? :p

I STILL have fuzzy vision in my left eye - A surgeon at Moorfields Eye Hospital is considering an op. to repair the damage, as it has started to get a lot worse over the last few years, and keratoconus has set in. Nice... All due to some little twirp and his air rifle.

:mad:

Luckily, I film with my RIGHT eye...

;)

18. toontra macrumors 6502

I have a 2" scar down my left cheek. I was dating a girl in Paris - she didn't tell me she had a boyfriend. I went over to her birthday party & we were dancing - I'd noticed this guy giving me strange looks & when my back was turned I felt this thump to my face & a lot of blood - it was a stanley knife. Crimes of passion are tolerated in France so I didn't bother calling the law!

I was quite drunk at the time so stuck a bandage on it & didn't do anything else till I got back to London the next evening. Needed 15 stitches. Still a visible scar - doesn't bother me really.

Other assorted leg indentations from 8 years of rugby twice a week.

19. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

I chopped the top right corner of my thumb off with an axe and I have a piece of my arm skin grafted on the missing bit, so my thumbprint is sort of wierd. It was a bummer because I had been in training for months for a rugby tournament and literally minutes before I was due to head off my dad asked me to chop some kindling and firewood so my gran wouldnt die of cold while we were away. Guess I was thinking of other things.

20. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

4 incher on the inside of my right calf from burrying a chain ring just a little too deep during a mountain biking crash... assorted scars on hands from who knows what

21. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    when i was a baby i fell off the coffee table and hit my chin so that my bottom tooth when through my bottom lip

when i was ten i was running around and put both my arms through a plate glass window... i have NUMEROUS scars on both arms, luckily none of them are too large, i had a towel wrapped around each arm and they were drenched in blood by the time i got to the emergency center, but i only needed 4 stitches.

i have a 1" scar right around my eye brow that blends in luckily from a basketball accident when his arm collided with my eye and lucky me the male scull has a sharp point under the brow... well it cut straight through and i was standing there and felt sweat dripping down my face cause it was hot... sure enought i went to wipe it away and my hand was covered in blood. i reached up and touched my own shull... that's an interesting experience! i needed however many stitches that my then step dad was too cheap to pay to take them out so i had to do it myself.

that's all the scars i have luckily with all the times i hurt myself! my place of work bought me my own box and bandages cause i kept using all of the supply for everyone else with all the times i cut myself... i'm getting better about it though! :p

22. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

I got a one incher from running away from mean turkys. I had t jump unserneath a razer wire fence and i got caught on my shoulder. its a good 1-2 inches long.
    Turkeys are evil, the know to go after the jewels
    Andreas

23. Santiago macrumors regular

Well, I have a two-inch long scar on top of my left foot, from where I ran into a steel bar near a construction site when I was around 4 or 5. I have a a few teeth marks around my left knee from where I was attacked by a German shepherd when I was five. They're barely visible these days, but given much I've grown since then, they now look more like a bear's bite than a dog's.

Then, I have a pair of symmetrical scars. On my left hand, on the knuckle at the base of my index finger, I have a small bumpy scar from an impetigo infection in 6th grade. On my right hand, in the same place, I have a little centimeter-long wavy scar from where I bit myself in a car crash. I was talking and gesturing at the time, when our vehicle (driven by my dad) hit the one in front of us at about 25-30 mph. My head snapped forward, and my canine punched a hole in the back of my hand. I didn't even realize it until several minutes later, when I noticed a fair amount of blood on my hand.

And, it's not really a scar, more of an accidental tattoo, but there's a small black spot on the skin between my right thumb and index finger where I tripped and jabbed a pencil I was holding into myself in the third grade, and the end of the lead broke off.

24. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

when i was a kid, i accidentally bit through most of my bottom lip, just about severing it... so i have a lovely railroad (where you can make out the stitches) below my lip. It's only noticible in certain light, or when i have my face contorted right. But i see it every damn day. Considering looking into surgery to reduce the appearance.

All of the rest of my scars seem to disappear after a few years. I had some pretty nasty ones on my arms, but they're gone now. I had most of my left ring finger pulverized a few years back, and they reconstructed it, so it looks like frankenstein's finger... but even that is slowly regaining a more normal shape...

paul

25. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Oooh - I remember that I got ONE more scar - and It's amazing I'd forgotten about it. Maybe it was just one of those mental blocks you have when something traumatic happens to you...

There we were, back in 1994, travelling over Walt Whitman Bridge in Philadelphia. I was working for Beyond 2000 at the time - and we were travelling out of town from the airport, heading towards New Jersey - halfway through a 2 month trek across the US, the Caribbean and Africa. The crew consisted of four of us - Camera, Sound, Producer and Reporter, along with 57 assorted flight cases all stuffed into the back of a Ford Aerostar.

The problem was, however, we never anticipated the puncture...

OUT came all 57 flight cases in order to reach the spare tyre - which unhelpfully occured right on the bridge itself. Needless to say, we weren't flavour of the month amongst the drivers who had to avoid us.

As I was trying to remove the hubcap, the screwdriver I was using spun outwards, collecting me in the right hand. There I was, confronted by a flathead that had passed THROUGH the skin between my thumb and forefinger (I STILL remember it hurt like a bitch). LUCKILY (or so I thought), the reporter we were travelling with just happened to be a Medical Doctor - her field of scientific speciality.

"Great! Caroline - can you check THIS out for me, pleeeeese?!?" <yelping in pain>

All she did was scream. Some feckin' doctor...

:rolleyes: