Scary Experience

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Queso, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Queso macrumors G4

Over the weekend my partner and I decided to visit a hotel near our holiday place in Spain for a cocktail. Just as the barman was serving up our drinks there was this enormous crash of smashing glass. When I turned round there was a naked man covered in blood, who had pulled down a 100-year-old chandelier, then smashed his head against a stone pillar and dived headlong into a wood and glass table. Not finished, he ran behind the bar, picked up a bottle of Barcardi and smashed himself repeatedly in the face with it until he got fed up and broke it against the bar, showering the entire area in glass and blood.

Not surprisingly, being two metres away from what looked like a crazed druggie armed with a broken bottle, my partner and I, along with everyone else in the bar, retreated quickly (i.e. legged it) into the hotel's garden, where we watched the man continue to smash the place up before running out the front door (still naked) and head off down the street. He ran headfirst at the wall of a house splitting his head open, but even with an extreme loss of blood it still took four policemen and two firemen to finally restrain him.

The worst thing is, we met one of the hotel's waiters in the street the next day, and he said that the man was a teacher on holiday from England. He's now recovering in hospital and on some serious medication to keep him calm.

I've never seen anyone flip like that before. He had a really vacant expression on his face like no-one was home, and all the time he was just smashing everything within reach. Pretty nasty to watch. You've got to wonder what would cause that sort of breakdown.

(BTW, discard the smiley's in the sig for this one. No laughing matter)

2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

3. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Believe me, I was. I just remember saying all these stupid things to the hotel staff, like "it's okay about the drink". We also didn't know whether we should hang around in case the Police needed witness statements, but in the end just went home in a daze.

I'm still freaked about it now.

4. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The worst things to happen on vacations/trips are always the best things in hindsight... granted this one was probably a little much but at least you'll remember it for years to come.

6. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

That is an intense story !
    I've heard similiar stories about folks on PCP. Glad you weren't hurt!

7. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

8. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

That's just your typical football (soccer) hooligan.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Hardly - I'm hoping there was a smiley missing there! Someone obviously mentally disturbed is a little different from a crowd of violence-loving cretins (most of whom are there for pre-arranged fights and not for the soccer).

It does sound a frightening experience; being around out-of-control people always is. A few weeks ago, I was on the Tube when a guy got on, injected himself with some drug and then staggered down the aisle. I felt a vague sense of disquiet since you have no idea what it was, what his reaction would be or whether if he tripped, you'd end up with syringe in your thigh.

Glad that you're OK and I hope he gets the help he needs.

10. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Are you sure? :rolleyes:

11. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

wow, poor guy, any reason why he acted like he did, i'm guessing something big had happened to make him go round the twist like that

12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Sounded like PCP to me. No sense of pain, incredible strength, erratic behavior.

13. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

I'm still not convinced whether it was something he had taken, or whether he hadn't taken something he ought to. His violence was very much directed against himself more than anyone else, which makes me wonder if he'd come on holiday without some usual medication.

The waiter I met did say the man had only come down to Spain two days before. How long would it take for a mental stabiliser to wear off?

BTW, thanks for all the good wishes for my safety guys. I don't think I was ever in any real danger though. I can run REALLY fast when I have to ;)

14. riciad macrumors 6502

Impossible to say. Some medications would require twice daily dosages, others are administered by injection once every two weeks; there's all sorts of variations. So the time for the effect of the medication to wear off would also vary greatly.

15. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

and so the antichrist is born (jk)
    -hope the guys ok