Scary news: N. Korea missle + West Coast

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rower_CPU, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

2. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

Re: Scary news: N. Korea missle + West Coast

Because you don't need kid gloves if the other guy's arms are short than yours are.

A less cryptic analogy would be this. There are two people with guns (person A and person B). Person A has the gun in his hand and is ready to fire. The goal with person A is to calmly talk him into lowering his weapon, and you don't want to make any quick moves or scare him 'cause he just might panic and start firing. Person B's pistol is holstered. The goal w/person B is to stop him before he can draw his weapon and start firing. So fast, decisive action is need to disarm Person B and defuse the situation before it elevates.

Lethal

3. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Re: Scary news: N. Korea missle + West Coast

A flawed analogy from the beginning.

We're talking the difference between a gun and a knife here. The difference between a short range attack and a long range one.

Iraq has a "knife" and has made no overt threats or is even posturing to attack the US. Whereas N. Korea clearly has a "gun" and is clearly acting in a threatening manner.

So, if you're in a dark alley and there are two thugs, one with a sheathed knife and one with a gun in your face, which one to you pay attention to? The way I see it, if you go after the guy with the knife, you got shot in the back.

4. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Re: Re: Re: Scary news: N. Korea missle + West Coast

Which makes me also wonder...

When we go after Saddam, and if North Korea hits the United States and we go to war with them, what's to stop China from going after Taiwan?

It's like a third guy kidnapping your kid brother while you're laying on the ground bleeding to death. :p

5. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Re: Re: Re: Scary news: N. Korea missle + West Coast

Ugh...what the hell is going on with the world?!?!

China kidnapping Taiwan, cats and dogs sleeping together...mass hysteria!!! :p

6. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The key here is that the missles aren't tested for that long a range yet. And Korea is not going to launch an ICBM at us first. They realize that it would only be as a last resort, fly in the face of death type thing.

Its all about deterance, they're just posturing to try and play with the big boys and get taken seriously.

D

7. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yeah, I know it's far-fecthed, but scary nonetheless...Hawaii would be an easy target. :(

8. macrumors 68000

e-coli

not that anyone would ever want to think about anything like this, but...

i wouldn't be the slightest bit worried about N. Korea launching a nuke at us. We'd turn their country in to a parking lot, and they know it. the ONLY good thing about our huge arsenal.

:rolleyes:

9. macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Hey guys, don't forget about the Kashmir Conflict. Oh, and the Venezuela Oil Crisis. Oh, I almost forgot, Argentina has no national currency. This one nearly slipped my mind, the Crisis in Chechnya.

The world is ready for a world war, the third world war. Ironically, also the Third-World War.

10. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    when countries are threatened and/or sanctioned they are capable of doing things that don't seem logical. ww2 is a good example of this.

and who's to say n. korea would act alone....its not like they're the only country with nukes capable of hitting us or that they're the only country pissed at the u.s.

11. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Your kidding right?

Just because it cant fly over 200Km, doesnt mean it cant go over 200Km. Its called a dirty bomb. Just sneak one into the U.S., and...well...biiiiiggg trouble.

They wont be launching nukes at us, rather set them off in big cities

12. macrumors 68000

topicolo

I think the Chinese taking over of Taiwan is the least of the US's worries. The US won't be losing much economically since most companies are moving their production over to China anyways. Also, the Taiwanese government have been arrogantly poking and prodding at the Chinese government for the last decade, trying to get a rise out of them just for the hell of it. Any takeover will probably occur diplomatically, but if war does break out, it'll be quick, just like last gulf war. Besides, Taiwan was a part of China only about 50-60 years ago.
    Another good thing is that the Chinese politiburo isn't crazed like Saddam, Kim Jong Il, or Fidel Castro. Their human rights record far exceeds those of Iraq, NK, and (maybe) Cuba and with A$$croft's recent "terrorist" dealings, it seems like they aren't too much worse than the US itself.

13. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

All the PowerBooks come from Taiwan - I would imagine that it would be a bad thing for Apple if it were to happen. The last thing we need is domestic strife in the country that produces most macs.......

D

14. macrumors 6502a

mattmack

The US official stance if im not mistaken is to defend Taiwan at all costs

15. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Um, all costs can get pretty high. I imagine that it would go that far, since at some point every thing would go to hell and we'd all be screwed. It would be very tough for us to put soldiers in harms way over Taiwan if China attacked. Keeping it from escalating would not be easy and I don't see an easy solution.

D

16. macrumors 6502a

748s

Re: Re: Re: Re: Scary news: N. Korea missle + West Coast

and india removing pakistan from the face of the earth. thailand taking out cambodia. china finishing off tibet. indonesia invading australia.
    and.......could this be the war to end all wars?

17. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is exactley why the world cannot let rogue nations be ran by tyrant/dictators/killers anymore. Iraq and its bio chem weapons/N Korea with nukes. There is a time for peace & freedom loving people to stand up and say we are not going to let you destroy what we have created. I saw a picture on fox the other day showing North and South Korea at night. North was a void, no lights nothing total black. South was lit up everywhere showing a vibrant society/economy and power grids everywhere. It is a shame what these Tyrants do to their people and countries. Instead of focusing on its people and society all its interested in is making more and more weapons. Well North Korea cant eat its weapons.

18. macrumors P6

wdlove

We can thank Bill Clinton for our current problems with China & North Korea. No one but our local talk show host Jay Severin is willing to talk about Clinton handing over missile & nuclear technology to China & North Korea. When will we learn that appeasement does not work, remember Nevel Chamberlain.

19. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Rower,
    Here it is.

You live on Street A. On Street B there is a quiet Kid, never talks much, very inclusive. Now what you don't know is that he hates you. For whatever reason. So, he has secretly been learning Kempo so that he can kill you with his bare hands. He is small, but musclar, not tall, not an imposing visual threat.

On Street C there is a big guy, now I know you are my size, so lets say this kid is 7'2. He is 300 lbs. He can bench 500 lbs. He hates you and wears a shirt that says it. He calls you and makes threats.

You know he hates you right. You can stay away from him. He is easy to see. Truth is, he likes you, he just needs help with homework. So, he makes you think he hates him, but when you talk, you realize that he just wants a little help. The other guy that has a network of friends even more weak than him that hate you too. You don't want them ganging up and jumping you.

Same here. Iraq and terrorists, the chemicals, etc. He is a madman, and wants to kill us. N. Korea, wants political help and food, etc. This is their trump care to negotiate help in their country.

20. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Great analogy, BTTM! I can see the reasoning behind that...but let's fill in some of the blanks.

You and your gang of buddies (the UN) has been going into the neighborhoods and homes of the buddies of the kid on street B (terrorists) and beating the crap out of them and tearing down their homes and communities. His friends are on the run, hiding out at their Aunt's house. The one guy who runs the gang, who you were after in the first place (Bin Laden) in no-where to be found but still (allegedly) communicating to his gang.

The big guy, on the other hand, is calling you out in the schoolyard. He's acting like a bully, talking like a bully - why not treat him like a bully? Put him in his place and show him who's boss.

Back to reality, now...

No country, especially after the Cold War, should be able to get away with open, threatening nuclear development. Period.

21. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The problem with nukes, using this analogy, invovles more than just your house. It affects the whole neighborhood or town. So it becomes everyones problem.

D

22. macrumors member

I don't think I've seen a collection of more flawed analogies, over simplifications, and general fear mongering all together in one place since watching Congress on CSPAN!

23. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Actually, they are really good analogies. Point is that Rower is Right. No country should be able to threaten nukes to get their political agenda satisfied. But here is the difference, N. Korea can reach so many countries, and has far, far more standing military power than Iraq. They have not as immediate threat because they do not share the same religious beliefs as the Iraqis, and that is a big difference.

They may be crazy, but not religious nuts.

24. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

True, but they are zealots of a different kind - so its still a tricky situation getting them to listen.

And macfan, if you'd care to elaborat on your comment and add something, instead of just posting a statement and not backing up with any ideas or thoughts, I'd love to hear it.

D

25. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    the people of any nation who choose to stand up?

or just us?

you do know that there are many people who think of themselves this way in iraq? they are normal people with regular jobs, families and peaceful aspirations. they may not even like saddam. and large numbers of them will likely be killed or injured during our war with saddam. is it " too bad" for them?

isn't it possible that other nations might see g.w.b. as a rogue leader with nuclear capabilities? he has certainly threatened them with his " axis of evil" rhetoric. and is it just "too bad" for us if we die in their process to change the regime?

the view depends upon where you stand and who's shoes you're in.