Scary Situation – My .mac Password was Reset

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sir42, Aug 31, 2005.

1. sir42 macrumors 6502

I went out for a walk this afternoon and when I came back I had two e-mails waiting in my .mac account. E-mail #1 was titled "How to Reset Your Apple Password." E-mail #2 was titled "Your Apple Password Has Been Reset."

The problem is I didn't reset my password and I could no longer access my .mac mail, either through Apple Mail, or through the web. Needless to say, I was a little concerned.

I called AppleCare but they weren't allowed to help me. Instead, they instructed me to click on the Feedback button on the bottom of the .mac homepage and send an e-mail to the .mac tech support folks. I found all of this a little unnerving. My e-mail was down and the only way to receive help was to send an e-mail!

After sending the web-based e-mail to the .mac folks I was taken to a page which told me that technical support e-mails could not be responded to on an individual basis, but that they were appreciative of my comments.

I decided to be industrious and wound up exploring the online help for .mac (perhaps something I should have done earlier, but I was kind of on edge and just wanted to talk to a human being). There I found a link to reset my password and sure enough I was able to reset it right there.

So problem number one is solved. But I still don’t know how my password got reset in the first place. Was it a glitch in the system? Did some crazy person figure out my password? The whole thing doesn’t sit right with me.

2. mpw Guest

Could be. I once accessed someone mail account, with good intentions(I'm not crazy.....woof ;). I guess they would've had the same experience you did.

It was way too easy by the way, I bet I could do it again now.

I'm typing this from an internet cafe I frequent and I've sat at the PC loads of times to find people have not logged out of webmail account and MSN etc. I've never been mean but I've had some fun sometimes using their address book and email account. People got to learn to secure themselves.

*changes login password from password after more than a year!* :eek: