Scary stuff will happen in January with OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by frozencarbonite, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frozencarbonite macrumors 6502

Aug 3, 2006
  2. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Apr 6, 2005
    Yeah, whatever. There is no 100% secure OS whether it is OS X or GNU/ is a process and not a product.

So yeah, bring it on :cool:
  3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    Well I just hope that apple stays on top of keeping up with security updates as they find things.
  4. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
    No, because that would leave us less secure. Documenting security vulnerabilities and giving the data over to Apple means that they will HOPEFULLY do something about it, instead of leaving John GOOBER to FUD it.
  5. gnasher729 macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
    Considering that we are just in the sixth year of the "Century of Windows Bugs", I am not too concerned.
  6. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2005
    Looking for Lucy Butler
    It certainly seems that there are an awful lot of people out there who just can't stand it, because the Mac is such a secure system when compared to others.

If these people were reputable, respected computer scientists and engineers, they would do what reputable and respected scientists and engineers do: When they find a security flaw, in any operating system, they document it. Then they notify Apple, Red Hat, or Microsoft, and tell them. They say "this is what we did, and this is how we did it", supported with their lab notes and documentation. At least, this is what I was taught. Is this way of thinking outmoded today?
  7. Silentwave macrumors 68000

May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    Hopefully they'll screw up someone important's system and will get sued.

Do something like this WITH APPLE, not out in public where you jeopardize people's work as a consequence of your little crusade.
  8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    it needs to be done, to keep OS X the most secure system ever made. But i do agree that it needs to be something kept private between the people doing it and with Apple. If Apple fail to fix up the bugs, release a few to the public. that should get their attention.
  9. monke macrumors 65816

May 30, 2005
    Why not report it to Apple. Most people know that a OS cannot be 100% secure. What will they gain out of it? Unless they are Windows fanboys that long for the virus-free days or they just want to make friends within the Microsoft community, they won't gain a thing.
  10. disconap macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR
    It's a hacker thing. They want to prove how smart they are first. But they are publishing the results, which is rather white hat of them.
  11. ecksmen macrumors member

Jun 6, 2006
    I think you guys have missed the point, they are releasing them to the public first, to give Apple motivation to fix the issues, they want to put pressure on apple to get coding faster.

It's only really the tip of the ice burg.

If these guys just found some bugs, told apple and no one else it's unlikely that apple would do anything against it.

Also, this raises there profiles giving them enlarged e-penis .
  12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    I hear it will increase spyware and pop-up problems for Macs and cause everyone's AIM buddy lists to become incompatible.
  13. EM87 macrumors regular

Nov 8, 2006
    Brisbane, Australia
    And here I was thinking that hacking someone else's computer was illegal, silly me.
  14. brbubba macrumors 6502

May 20, 2006
    Compared to the MS team's security fix schedule, Apple has done an incredible job with security updates. I wouldn't be worried about it.
  15. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
    They're not hacking someone else's computer. Their using "fuzzing" software to throw the kernel some curveballs and see how it reacts to unusual inputs, and if any of that behavior can become a security risk.
  16. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.