Scary thought.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mischief, May 1, 2002.

1. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Since HP and Compaq are merging and we all seem to agree this is a stupid Idea I thought a projected outcome could prove educational:

Projected 2 year outcome:

Compaq/HP gets weak and begins to fail. M$, which is also temporarily weak from having to "segment" Winblows buys them out claiming that if they have to open their proprietary code to the world they will hedge their bets and do HW too. The new Supercorp then goes entirely Intel/nVidia and proceeds to go after Apple on their own terms. :eek:

Freaky.........gives me the shivers.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Scary thought.

I don't ever seeing this happen. The M$ has enough problems in the antitrust arena to go and start branching out in the hardware world by buying up Hq. M$ still has many, many years of good sailing. There isn't a competetor out there who's a threat to them yet. I'll be much more intresting 10 years from now....

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

What's strange is that if M$ did that, they would in essense be doing the same thing that Apple does, but they would get in trouble for it due to their size and past practices.

4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

AHHAHAH! lets just hope that never happens!

I don't think M$ will be doing anything stupid like this anytime soon!

Ensign

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

hp-compaq could fail, but then dell will get stronger as will toshiba, sony, and e-machines

there is no shortage on the wintel side of things

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think the biggest competitor with Apple has to be Sony. They have a nice line up of machines, a bit overpriced in some areas - almost like the Macs. And they also stress the digital lifestyle with the computer as the hub. It wasn't too long ago that Sony and Apple were chosen as the two winners of the modern pc war - basically these two companies will out last all others into the next decade because of their vision to interconnect hardware and provide easy to use software. I don't know where the article is, but I'll search again and see if I can find it. Anyone else ever read it? It was on Macworld.com or something similar

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

steve jobs' idolizes sony and their philosophy...against the grain yet still in the thick of things

too bad sony makes pcs that compete with macs

if i was stuck in a business or job and i had to have a pc, i would definitely go sony

my compaq laptop has served me well over two and a half years, except:

the feet come off and have to be glued on occassionaly

on my desk, i have to keep the lid open so the opening and closing movement doesn't ulplug the inside of the lcd

if i do transport my laptop and have to carefully close the lid, i have to be careful not to break off the delicate plastic latches on it

and i have to live with the flickering on the bottom left hand corner of the display

other than those things, which i have learned to live with, the laptop is fine

for my ibook, the only weakness is the roll up yo-yo power adapter which, if rolled up too tightly, will short the cable...i did this once and had to buy a third party vst ibook yo-yo adapter for 75 bucks